Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem removing images from database

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Problem removing images from database

    I procrastinated removing images from my databases. On my smaller forums removing them was a breeze. No issues. However on my largest forum I had problems.
    Removing the images seemed to go just fine. I had the same number of pics removed, as the DB reported having in it. And zero that could not be written. However, later I found many threads did not have the images that used to be there. The text was there but no image. I was able to restore a backed up copy of the DB with images and that got us back in business.
    I'm looking for hints on what steps i should take before removing images to ensure I do not loose anything. Thoughts?
    http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/


  • #2
    I suggest you explain why you are removing attachments and how you are removing them.

    Comment


    • #3
      For performance.

      Removing them via the admin control panel.

      from the VB manual:

      There are several factors you need to consider before choosing which method you wish to use. By default, vBulletin stores attachments in the database since every server that supports vBulletin will work with this method. Not every server will be able to store attachments in the file system.

      Storing in Database:
      • Pro
        • Backing up your database, also backs up your attachments
        • Does not consume any of your file system storage limits (unless mysql storage counts)

      • Con
        • Can increase server load on large forums


      Storing in File system:
      • Pro
        • Better performance for large forums
        • Easier to backup your database

      • Con
        • Does not work if SAFE MODE is enabled on your server.
        • Need to backup attachments separately from database
        • Consumes space on your file system

      http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/

      Comment


      • #4
        That is not removing, you're switching to the file system instead.

        Does your system meet the requirements of not being in safemode and did you configure the attachment path and its permissions properly?

        Comment


        • #5
          How many attachments do you have? What sort of server are you on? Dedicated, shared, VPS?

          Comment


          • #6
            System is not in safe mode. 70% of the pics converted okay. the other 30% were missing. No red x or any indication of a missing image, simply nothing under the text.
            I'm on my own dedicated server and run multiple VB forums. Running CentOS. Yes the path was created correctly and permissions on the target dir were 777.
            After running the command to move the images to the file system it counted around 6000 images. Since many images did not show up after the move I suspect I have more images than that in my DB.

            Thanks for your ideas on what might have caused this.
            Last edited by Orp; Thu 23rd Feb '12, 9:17am.
            http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/

            Comment


            • #7
              When you performed the export to file system, did you close your forum?

              Comment


              • #8
                No, I did not close it. Manual did not mention closing it. In hindsight that was probably a big mistake, but I'm not sure that caused the issues since it worked flawlessly on all the other forums I performed the same function on, and some of them are rather large. None of them were closed at the time of export.
                http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Orp View Post
                  No, I did not close it. Manual did not mention closing it. In hindsight that was probably a big mistake, but I'm not sure that caused the issues since it worked flawlessly on all the other forums I performed the same function on, and some of them are rather large. None of them were closed at the time of export.
                  I suggest trying it again but close the forum.

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X