I have just bought a huge hacked forum on 3.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have just bought a huge hacked forum on 3.7

I want to upgrade it to 3.8 patch 2 but am woried that the hacks wont work.

Its really full of dodgy scripting.... I was told from a friend who is moving it to a new server: 'I have never seen such a disasterous example of hacked around VBulletin in my life..'.

The question is this.. If I upgrade, is the upgrade likely to affect the hacks which are pumped into the site? Or would you recommend that I wait till the scrips are fixed up?

Is a immensly hacked VB like this one able to be ugraded to vb 4?

http://www.getastake.net

Matt

Originally posted by Skivey View Post
    Is a immensly hacked VB like this one able to be ugraded to vb 4?
    Yeah, but only because the upgrade works on the core, meaning you lose every 'hard-coded' hack (where modifications have been made to the files), as well as any modification to the Templates/Style System.

Most hacks for vB3 will not work for vB4 out of the box, especially if they involved any calling of templates, as the systems have changed.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

ok, i might put that one on hold for now then.. how about 3.7 to 3.8? or is this the same answer?

Comment

If the modifications have been made to the files, you would have to carry those modifications over by modifying the new files. Otherwise, it's generally painless going from 3.7 -> 3.8.

You'd be doing this on a copy of your site and database anyway, so can see what if any issues crop up first, right?
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

ill do a complete backup then try it, ill have a go tonight. My friend is scanning through all 50odd files to try and clean up some of the hacks first. Thanks for your help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X