How to move a website to a new server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move a website to a new server

I am buying a 3000 member vb website which has over 300,000 posts...

Both me and the seller arent 100% on how we go about doing the exchange, I have worked out how to do the domain name transfer, we both use godaddy so this is easy. I do my own host reselling and he uses a different server, so how do I go about transferring it acccross?

Is it as easy as downloading the database and files and just 'moving' them?

Matt

ALSO, the website is on VB3... how do I go about making sure the license is transferred to me?

Matt

Comment

You need to contact [email protected] and confirm the license can be transferred to you.

As for the technical part of it basically the existing site should use cpanel or some other method to make a full database backup. They should also make a backup of their entire public_html or www folder. These will likely be two large .zip files you will need to transfer to you by FTP.

The original owner should close his forum (but not delete anything until you confirm the backups are valid/good)

You then upload all his files to your public_html / www folder.

You will need to edit include/config.php for your own server and database settings.

You may need to edit/replace any .htaccess files depending on server config.

Finally you import the database backup into your database

Then you check and make sure it all works.

Once it is working have the seller delete his files.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X