Migrating hosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating hosts

I copied all of the files over. I dumped the mysql database. I imported it into the new host. I changed the settings in config.php.

I browse to the new site and get a login screen. I log in, and it accepts my username and password, give me the message "thank you for logging in" and starts redirecting to what should be the site, but turns 180 and goes back to the login screen.

Can anyone give me some ideas of what to check?

I do not believe you can simply move the files and import info into a new database and have it work. You need to create the new database, install VBB and import data into the new database if memory serves me correctly.

Comment

No you would import to an empty database not one with vb installed. Can you get to the admincp by entering the /admincp/index.php at the end of your url?

Comment

If I try to go to the admincp, it asks me to login, and then the same thing.

Is there a good howto on migrating hosts? Because the random one I followed didn't say anything about installing vb on the new host first.

Comment

You should not follow that advice, its not valid.

http://ww.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade

Comment

The link you posted goes to upgrades, but I'm not upgrading, I'm migrating hosts. Can you direct me to the proper procedure for migrating?

Comment

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?...rsion=30800500

Click on appendix technical documents, then click on moving servers.

Comment

Excellent! I'll give that a whirl and report back. Thanks!

Comment

So I just walked though that writeup, and according to it, I'm supposed to:

1) FTP all my my vB files from the old site to the new site
                  2) Dump the current database
                  3) FTP the dump to the new host
                  4) Import the database on the new host
                  5) change the config.php file, and then login

Well, I hate to say it, but that is exactly what I already did.

Comment

I never thought it was a database issue, either in my opinion a config issue with the url in admincp or a redirect issue with regards to your .htaccess file, can you paste the contents of that?

Comment

I don't have an .htaccess file visible on the new host. I'm accessing via cpanl's file manager, so I'm not sure if hidden files show up, but I'm pretty sure they do.

Comment

When you click on file manager you have to tick the "show hidden dot files" box. or access it via ftp

Comment

Ahhh, I have had the file manager window open for a few days, so I didn't even notice that box.

Here are the contents of the .htaccess on the new host:

# Use PHP5.4 as default
                          AddHandler application/x-httpd-php54 .php
                          And there wasn't one that I saw on the old host.

Comment

Ah you can't be using php 5.4 with 3.8.0, I think Zachery said the beta version is compatible.

Comment

Crap. Time for plan C.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X