Hide version number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hide version number

How can I hide my version number for security reasons? Am I allowed to do that?

Thanks,

Jon

Yes you are allowed to remove the version number. The "Powered By..." and Copyright must remain.

In Admin CP -> Phrase Manager, edit the GLOBAL Phrase: powered_by_vbulletin

Copy it to an English (or any other language) translation and remove the text: Version {1}

And re-save the phrase.

Comment

That worked thanks!

Comment

I've seen several posts like this. I'm curious what people talk about when they say "security concerns"? How would this help with security? Can't I simply right click / view source to see the version number? Even if I were to remove it from all of the files (which I believe may be against the rule even for branding free people), how might that help me?
        Cliff
        PathLabTalk
        Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

Originally posted by dilbert View Post
          I've seen several posts like this. I'm curious what people talk about when they say "security concerns"? How would this help with security? Can't I simply right click / view source to see the version number?
          Yes
          Even if I were to remove it from all of the files (which I believe may be against the rule even for branding free people)
          Correct
          "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
          "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
          "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

Actually, that being said, it's really a waste of money to buy the branding free version since most people can still see all of the information in the page source....
            "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
            "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
            "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

Originally posted by HMBeaty View Post
              Actually, that being said, it's really a waste of money to buy the branding free version since most people can still see all of the information in the page source....
              I'd agree if I were trying to hide the version number. I have everything branding free to keep the site just a little cleaner.
              Cliff
              PathLabTalk
              Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

I've seen several posts like this. I'm curious what people talk about when they say "security concerns"? How would this help with security? Can't I simply right click / view source to see the version number? Even if I were to remove it from all of the files (which I believe may be against the rule even for branding free people), how might that help me?
                It's just a matter of not advertising your exact version to the world. Will it really stop you from being hacked if a security flaw is found in an old version you are running- probably not- but it can't hurt.

Comment

I'm sure there are plenty of hackers who do a Google search by version number. Why make it easy for them?

Comment

if a hacker really wanted to hack you it does not matter what version you have they will get in a good one will not be stopped

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X