Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images aren't showing up inline, only a the file name, view and size

Hi,

here's a weird problem I've noticed for quite some time. Some details first.

Running 3.8.7 Patch level 2, recently upgraded from something like 3.5.4. Problem existed at 3.5.4 and still exists after the upgrade.
    Images are stored in the database
    Seems to only happen on 2 forums that are kind of private (have a few usergroups taken out of them)
    Image method of uploading is clicking the Attachment icon, browsing for file, uploading, then inserting the attachment
    Workaround that seems to fix it for that session. Find any post that has this problem, clicking quote, entering in enough characters for a post, clicking Preview, then you see the Attachment (with attachment id no.) link, click the link, it brings you to a login page (like you're not logged in, even though you are) login again, you then see the attachment, go back to the forum, hit Refresh, then you see all the attachments in all the posts. That works then on all pages of the forum and it works until your session is done.

Troubleshooting -
    isn't browser specific
    has problem no matter what pc - tried on several pc's , also some virtual machines, same issue
    doesn't seem to affect everyone. some people say they have issues, others say they do have the same issue. All users are in the same usergroups.

some screenshots of the issue.

It's almost as if it is treating me as a unregistered user, based upon it is asking me to login again. Once I login again, it then shows me the images. But I am actually already logged in when I go into this sub forum.

Any ideas, I would be grateful..I would rather not go thru the hassle of opening up a ticket, I like to fix things on my own So shoot me off some ideas please!

screenshot showing no image, just the file name, views, and size. (this is not text either, as you cannot copy it. It appears to be a image that is there)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	imageerror.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	3722045
    screenshot of my using my workaround, where I hit quote to a post that has a image in it, then put in some random text and hit preview, then click on the attachment link

Name:	imageerror2.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	3722046

screenshot of the login page that comes up , even though I'm already logged in. If login again, I can see the image. If I then go back to the forum and hit refresh, I can see all the images in any post. This will then work fine for that session.

Name:	imageerror3.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	3722047

screenshot of a forum that has a couple of usergroups taken out.

Name:	imageerror4.jpg
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	3722048

Does your forum URL work with both a "www" and without "www" in the domain?

It sounds like you are logged in one one and not the other and your links aren't consistent.

If you do use it with and without the www I strongly advise you to use htaccess to forward everyone from one to the other, whichever you choose.

Here is an example on how to force the WWW: http://www.besthostratings.com/artic...-htaccess.html

Comment

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
      Does your forum URL work with both a "www" and without "www" in the domain?

It sounds like you are logged in one one and not the other and your links aren't consistent.

If you do use it with and without the www I strongly advise you to use htaccess to forward everyone from one to the other, whichever you choose.

Here is an example on how to force the WWW: http://www.besthostratings.com/artic...-htaccess.html
      thanks for steering me in the right direction. I think that was the main problem.

Appreciate your quick response, unlike my not so quick thank you

Comment