Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated

Could you point me in the right direction please? I searched for this issue, but I got overwhelmed with a lot of results, most of which deal with very old PHP versions. There must be something specific here. All of the sudden my forum stopped working (I haven’t upgraded vBulletin or made any configuration changes, the forum had been working) and I get the following:

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php on line 49

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php on line 101

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php on line 105

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php on line 113

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php on line 124

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php on line 128

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php on line 136

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php on line 205

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php on line 383

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /[path to the forum directory]/includes/class_core.php on line 2552

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
    File: /[path to the forum directory]/includes/init.php
    Line: 49

New information: my host updated PHP to version 5.3.5 and MySQL to version 5.0.1.

Comment

I found other threads with folks having the same problem. Looks like the solution is to ether downgrade the version of PHP or upgrade the version of vBulletin.
      Maybe it is finally time for me to jump to vBulletin 4…

Comment

You can disable display_errors

In your config.php file set ini_set(display_errors, 0);

This will prevent other helpful error messages from showing, but it will disable those notices.

Comment

To get the forum back up quickly, I just edited the corresponding lines in the php files to remove the ampersand (&) symbol.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            You can disable display_errors

In your config.php file set ini_set(display_errors, 0);

This will prevent other helpful error messages from showing, but it will disable those notices.
            Thanks. This is something to keep in mind.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X