Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Possibly Compromised Looking For Suggestions

Hello vb team;

Our site lately has been targeted for backlink spam and our google results have plummeted. It's been an ordeal. Our site currently runs vb 3.8.1 and I know there has been updates since...and I was looking for a changelog. I want to upgrade to the latest 3.8 release because I'm sure its more secure..but hate to affect any of my modifications.

Anyways my co-admin posted a google topic here: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...65239f1c&hl=en

and we got a response from this person willing to help and offer suggestions. He was able to create a duplicate userid on our forums and post. So now we have 2 userids of the same name, so he somehow compromised our vb forums to show us that it's insecure.

This poses some concern for us, because I'm sure we are being targeted for spam, as google stopped indexing us.

What are some recommendations? I need to know how to better secure our forums. Starting with upgrades or htaccess, etc. Any links or any information would be so much appreciated.

Thank you vb support!

The only supported way is to upgrade to 3.8.7 normally., There is no other viable option.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

You may want to read this thread http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...te-quot-a-user

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thanks Lynne;

So is there anyway to do it patch by patch like 3.8.2, then 3.8.3, etc? I hate to go directly to 3.8.7 until I test each release on my testsite first to make sure nothing breaks.

In the download section I only see 3.8.7 tho...

Comment

The best thing to do is set up a test site with a copy of your live site database and test the upgrade on it first.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Right, which is what I'm going to do. Was hoping though I could do 3.8.2 first, then do 3.8.3 zip file by zip file. Looks like I'll have to do 3.8.7 full blown tho.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X