Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Msg editor doesn't (and never HAS) allowed all text - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by z0diac View Post
    Actually that's not a bad darn idea. Thanks! (hpoefully I can get the same foreground colour as the background colour)
    And don't forget to use a monospace font.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    I've already explained why it won't work. You can add a pre bbcode for preserving whitespace.

Leave a comment:

• z0diac
    replied
    Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
    If you really want than you can trick the eyes.........................with the right colour without "code".
    Actually that's not a bad darn idea. Thanks! (hpoefully I can get the same foreground colour as the background colour)

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    If you really want than you can trick the eyes.........................with the right colour without "code".

Leave a comment:

• z0diac
    replied
    Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
    Code:
                 Posts            would            be
         larger with the extra spaces for the database
    Yes I know I can put stuff into a code box, but then... well.. it's in a code box. When a post contains columns and is 80 rows down, it's just ugly all stuffed into a code box with sliders on the sides.

No worries, as it was said above, it's an HTML thing, not a vB thing, so I guess I have to live with it

(Weird though, because when I use an HTML editor it doesn't erase my spaces or CR's. I can have as many spaces as I want at the beginning of a line and as many blank lines as I want between rows of text.) Example

Edit: I just copy/pasted that example into a post, and it seems vB DOES allow numerous blank lines one after the other. Just not spaces.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Its how html works. HTML doesn't care about whitespace, if there is more than 1 enter/space/tab. HTML ignores it, unless you use html enities, or specific tags to make sure they're not ignored.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by z0diac View Post
    'Not sure why vB forces editing on people's postings ( ?? ) Very frustrating!
    Code:
                 Posts            would            be
         larger with the extra spaces for the database

Leave a comment:

• z0diac
    replied
    Nah, 'wouldn't work for my posts. A lot of posts are listings which are updated daily, and I have values/headers on the top line, followed by a second ------------------- line, then underneath all the values. But the tables aren't how they're supposed to be due to vB not allowing a bunch of spaces at the beginning of a line. Then in other posts where I need to have 5-6 blank lines, it removes them. GRR.

I've got a coder that does a lot of work for me (for a fee of course). Maybe I'll get him into altering the vB code so it just puts every keystroke 'as is' into the post. Looks like it's the only way to do it.

'Not sure why vB forces editing on people's postings ( ?? ) Very frustrating!

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    replied
    You cannot. Thats how it works.

You could try [code ] tags.

Leave a comment:

• z0diac
    started a topic Msg editor doesn't (and never HAS) allowed all text - why?

Msg editor doesn't (and never HAS) allowed all text - why?

I've noticed with the 3 vBs that I run (all different versions) that the vB thread/post editor likes to take away certain things, some of which are VITAL to posts.

It will remove new lines / carriage returns if a bunch are added, and it will remove spaces at the beginning of new lines.

WHY!?

I need to have blank spaces at the start of lines of many of my msgs so I can line up text under a certain part of the line above it.

How do I change it so vB allows ALL keystrokes I type into a post?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X