Ubuntu-10, centOS -5 or FreeBSD-7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu-10, centOS -5 or FreeBSD-7?

Which one of these linux Operating systems be good to run vbulletin forum?

Ubuntu-10, centOS -5 or FreeBSD-7?
    SachiiDosti - Hum Sub Dost Hain

I've had awesome experience with FreeBSD in terms of performance and etc for vBulletin. FreeBSD is more complex in terms of administration - you should be a unix pro to really take advantage of it (IMHO)

I like CentOS because it also has great performance, its kept up-to-date and its newbie friendly - you can YUM install almost everything!
    anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
    Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
    Please be my friend!
    http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
    vBulletin Performance Articles:
    Click here to read

Comment

hi,

freeBSD is not "newbie friendly" you should be quite a "heavy" experienced user with Linux i'd go for CentOS the only disadvantage CentOS has (in my opinion) they are slow in releasing new software and or updates they however will patch any discoverd security hole but they will not update the version number of the affected package so things like rkhunter (and similar) will show warnings which actually can be ignored and this is verry annoying and confusing when is it safe to ignore a warning and when is action requierd ?

Comment

ahaan thankk you for your comments it indeed helped me decide
        SachiiDosti - Hum Sub Dost Hain

Comment

Originally posted by DelphiVillage View Post
          hi,

freeBSD is not "newbie friendly" you should be quite a "heavy" experienced user with Linux i'd go for CentOS the only disadvantage CentOS has (in my opinion) they are slow in releasing new software and or updates they however will patch any discoverd security hole but they will not update the version number of the affected package so things like rkhunter (and similar) will show warnings which actually can be ignored and this is verry annoying and confusing when is it safe to ignore a warning and when is action requierd ?
          Its not so much CentOS is slow, its that RHE only certifies specific builds as "stable". Since CentOS is RHE without the branding or support, you're locked into RHE's version numbering.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X