Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable hyperlinks in posting/threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richpal
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    You need to empty and or rebuild the postcache.
    Hi Zachery, thanks for your help with this

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    You need to empty and or rebuild the postcache.

Leave a comment:

• richpal
    replied
    OK then, an update on my earlier posts. Google Webmaster tools did provide information to the offending link on their Webmaster > Site health page > malware, and from that page I learned that the offending .php file was located in the images folder, Google also provided me with information that the /vbulletin_menu.js had been compromised which was later confirmed by vBulletin who advised me to download a newer version from their site and overwrite the offending file which I did with no problems encountered.

So to clarify, I've unclicked the 'Allow Link BBcode' from the admin control panel as suggested, but the existing links on the forum posts are still showing as live, what do I need to do to rebuild the threads - and before anyone suggests to 'Rebuild Thread Information', I have already bitten the bullet and tried that, yet the previous posts still display live links.

Any ideas anyone?

Leave a comment:

• richpal
    replied
    Hi Zachery,

Thanks for the advice on stopping spam content before users can see it.

However, our forum is already very well protected against spammers and spam posts before they even get chance to post spam. Furthermore, all posts containing links by new users are automatically moved to the moderation queue. All of these posts are then manually read to determine whether they are related to the forum or just spam, then either approved or deleted as appropriate.

We've also set a time limit for editing of posts to stop existing posts having spam links added later

The posts that are live on our forum posts do not appear to contain any spammer links, and links are checked before being approved. So the problem may be when Google decides a link is spam even though it isn't, then demotes your website or forum for no good reason.

And that is the reason for my asking the question as to whether or not a clickable link in a post or thread can be disabled.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Disabling link doesn't make a post not spam. Its still spam.

You should be more concerned with stopping spam content before users can see it, and worry less about clickable links.

We've got a pretty good arsnel to deal with spam:
    Spam scanning via Spam Management in the AdminCP.
    Approving new users posts and after they have good posts promoting them to an unrestricted usergroup.
    Using Question & Answer human verification with custom questions for your own site.
    You goal should be to stop your end users and search engines from seeing any and all spam content. Not stoping spammers from posting links.

Leave a comment:

• richpal
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> BB Code Settings -> Enabled Built-in BB Codes -> Allow Link BBCode

Note that this is global and will affect all users
    Have just be hit by the unwelcome email from Google stating 'Google has detected user-generated spam on your site' yet provides no useful information in Webmaster tools as to which pages have offended them!

So Trevor thank you for the path for disabling hyperlinks in user posts and threads which might solve the problem.

One quick question, I've unclicked the 'Allow Link BBcode' from the admin control panel as you suggested, but the links on the forum posts are still showing as live, I've had a look at the admin control panel and note that there is an option to 'Rebuild Thread Information', but seem to remember that there is an order of these rebuilds which should be followed, or is it OK to just rebuild the thread information?

At this point I'm wondering whether this is the correct route to disable any links posted by users on the site - I don't want to delete the links, just remove the clickable hyperlink in their posts.

It's a shame that user groups in vBulletin can't be selected for whether or not their links are live.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> BB Code Settings -> Enabled Built-in BB Codes -> Allow Link BBCode

Note that this is global and will affect all users

Leave a comment:

• port80
    started a topic How to disable hyperlinks in posting/threads?

How to disable hyperlinks in posting/threads?

Hi,
    I am tired deleting 1000s of spam posts on my technical nature forum.
    As a last try (before moving to other forum), just want to know how to disable links in posts?
    I hope disabling post links will may help...

Thx.