Clear All

• Joe D.
    replied
    Guess I've just been lucky...

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    4.x bug = importing a language from the server destroys the master language file
    FWIW, this has been happening for years with 3.x as well. Some language packs seem to mess up the master phrases.

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    3.8 bug = the "euro" sign or something like that doesn't display right on RSS feeds...

4.x bug = importing a language from the server destroys the master language file

Just examples but while 3.8 might have some remaining bugs, it doesn't compare to 4.x.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by smiggy View Post
    I'm not one of those people who said that.

I've been running 3.8 since it was ever out.

Go, take a squint back at the bug tracker and you will see there were many bugs which needed addressing and fixing, but they didn't deem it timeworthy because they were under the cosh with vB 4.
    That's as maybe, but they didn't fix all the 4.x ones either.

The point is, either 3.8 had loads of bugs that were never fixed, or it didn't. The problem I have is that when people want to bash the company, they say it did. But then in other threads the same people say how wonderful 3.8 was because it had no bugs whilst vB4 is full of them. And my point is, they can't have it both ways.

Leave a comment:

• smiggy
    replied
    I'm not one of those people who said that.

I've been running 3.8 since it was ever out.

Go, take a squint back at the bug tracker and you will see there were many bugs which needed addressing and fixing, but they didn't deem it timeworthy because they were under the cosh with vB 4.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Of course there was a great deal to maintain in the 3.8 series back in middle of 2009. There have been enough bug reported from then and now to warrant more than just 3 maintenance releases. C'mon.
    Were there?

People keep saying on the one hand 4.x is rubbish because 3.8 is bug free, but now apparently there are so many bugs in 3.8 that we needed loads of maintenance releases. Which it it?

As far as I can see very little has cropped up in 3.8 in the last 18 months or so, I should know as I was running it until Dec 26th when I changed to vB4.

Whilst I'd be the first to agree that IB has not done a wonderful job on vBulletin since Kier left, the criticisms of them are sometimes inconsistent and unrealistic.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Samir View Post
    Thank you. I really wish I would've saw this earlier.
    It is still available for a few weeks yet.

Leave a comment:

• Samir
    replied
    Thank you. I really wish I would've saw this earlier.

Leave a comment:

• smiggy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    But what would they have contained? There isn't a great deal to "maintain" in 3.8. Since maintenance releases don't contain new features, what do you suggest the company should have put in the releases these past 18 months?
    Of course there was a great deal to maintain in the 3.8 series back in middle of 2009. There have been enough bug reported from then and now to warrant more than just 3 maintenance releases. C'mon.

The amount of bugs fixes in 3.8.5/3.8.6/3.8.7 were the amount of bug fixes we use to get in previous maintenance releases when the old developers were around.

Leave a comment:

• creativepart
    replied
    Originally posted by Garamond View Post
    It's time to realise the fact that vBulletin is a dead end.
    It doesn't have to be that way. VB could still have some serious discussions about this issue and change course a bit and not make themselves redundant as they say in the UK. Or, they can keep going down this path to failure. I'm an optimist. We don't know what will happen. There's always a chance for course corrections.

Leave a comment:

• Garamond
    replied
    vBulletin 4 will be defeated by XenForo.
    If you have told me that some months ago, I wouldn't believe you. But after looking closer at XenForo I must say they really have something good going at xenforo.com. And they haven't even passed the v1.0.0 milestone. The frequency in which they roll out new versions and the quality already seen, well, those two reasons alone should make IB wonder what has been done wrong with vBulletin.

It's time to realise the fact that vBulletin is a dead end.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    18 months ago since 3.8.3 was released by Kier, we've only got four paltry maintenance releases, LOL.

IB did a right dismal job continuing support for 3.8 all that time. You guys flopped miserably. Imagine how many releases we would've had by now if they had stuck with the original schedule with one maintenace release every 2 months.
    But what would they have contained? There isn't a great deal to "maintain" in 3.8. Since maintenance releases don't contain new features, what do you suggest the company should have put in the releases these past 18 months?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Samir View Post
    What is the vB3 Maintenance package/license extension? This is the first time I've heard of this. I'm another site that's staying on the vb3 platform.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...?daysprune=365

Leave a comment:

• Samir
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    If you purchased a vB3 Maintenance package, and do not have the ability to download 3.8.7, please contact support.
    What is the vB3 Maintenance package/license extension? This is the first time I've heard of this. I'm another site that's staying on the vb3 platform.

Leave a comment:

• grayloon
    replied
    Is there a list of changed files for 3.8.7?

Leave a comment: