Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gnatster
    replied
    I purchased 4.0 in the presale. I've tried a few times to change the site and have made it look somewhat the same. However each time I let a group of beta users view and uses I get the same pushback that what we have is not broken, so why fix ti. I too would like to see a vB Classic.

I'm developing a new site for a client right now, I gave her ethe option and she went with the 3.8 look and feel.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by creativepart View Post
    Probably. But it's worth asking for, don't you think?
    Maybe. However, you must realise that almost all of vb3 was developed by the "old" team. If the current team were to develop 3.8 forwards, it would be subject to the same "agile development" nonsense that vB4 has got. meaning you'd suddenly get a whole new styling system in 3.8.9 or something and lots of custom stuff would break.

vB3 would, within a short space of time, be attracting exactly the same sort of complaints as vb4 is now.

So, I think it's all a pipe dream even if they were to say yes (which they won't).

Leave a comment:

• Jafo
    replied
    I think the hardest part of this conversation is sooner or later someone will come in and say vb X is better than vb Y so I agree (or I disagree so shut up). I believe it is to the point where it is like arguing which flavor of ice cream is better. Each owner has their own appetite. Now granted, from everything I see in the field, people clearly like 3.8 better. I have yet to see anything substantive to the contrary. I just hope this discussion does not break into one of those. We are not complaining about 4, we just love our 3.8 and cannot risk such a bold move to what is very different software.

Leave a comment:

• briansol
    replied
    I attempted the vb4 upgrade, and it failed, miserably, on my big board. And i'm glad it did. I quickly decided against the action plan and restored vb3.

vb4 just isn't for a lot of us. To quote a member of mine, "it looks like Fisher Price". Sure, the style is easily changed out, but the graphics aren't.... and there's like 23423r4542342342342 images in vb4.

And it's slow. Aweful slow. 2-4 seconds slower than vb3 for the EXACT same page from the same database as tested by webpagetest.org.

It's too big, too bloated, and too pretty.

That works for some people. But for those of us who run forums for a living, it's not.

I would also be happy to support monetarily a vB classic sticking with the basic vb3 codebase.

All i really want is
    - bug/exploit support/upgrades
    - finish the user albums
    - integrate search/albums/groups/etc like was done for vb4.

that's it. I think that's all most of us want.

Leave a comment:

• creativepart
    replied
    Probably. But it's worth asking for, don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Hmm. Currently the company is struggling to even develop vB4 in a meaningful way. Expecting them to be able to maintain TWO lines of the software when they clearly cannot maintain one properly is simply pie in the sky.

Leave a comment:

• Tigratrus
    replied
    Trevor, there's nothing wrong with VB 4.X. You folks have done a wonderful job on it. But, unfortunately, it's too different from 3.8 for the majority of VB 3.X users to ever upgrade to it. What needs to happen is VB needs to split the two versions -- 3.X and 4.X into two separate products and continue the life and development of 3.X.

Call it VB Classic and start selling renewal licenses to it and create a small team to start working on fixes and incremental improvements to it.

You'll sell 10s of thousands of renew licenses and you'll keep VB a leader in the forum software market place. You'll quickly thwart your competitors plans to take advantage of the 4.X misstep you all made.

It's not that 4.X is bad or wrong. But it is not what the majority of 3.X forum owners want to upgrade to. I think we can all agree that this is the real world situation at this point and everyone should stop kidding themselves that 3.8 forums are going to upgrade to 4.X en masse any time soon.
    I think creativepart has a really good point.

Given the number of 3.x boards that have decided NOT to move to 4.x it would make sense from a purely business point of view. It would give those board owners a REASON to renew their license. With more time and maturation, maybe 5.x will be enticing enough for them to move back to the mainstream. Maybe specifically develop the 3.x line in a logical fashion to ease the transition from 3.x to 5.x?

All I know is that by abandoning the 3.x line, it's a virtual certainty that a lot of vBulletin license holders (myself among them) will either shift to custom development based on the 3.x line, or jump ship altogether to a product.

Here's to hoping for a vB Classic codebase continuation!

:: raises a virtual glass ::

Leave a comment:

• Jafo
    replied
    Trevor, there's nothing wrong with VB 4.X. You folks have done a wonderful job on it. But, unfortunately, it's too different from 3.8 for the majority of VB 3.X users to ever upgrade to it. What needs to happen is VB needs to split the two versions -- 3.X and 4.X into two separate products and continue the life and development of 3.X.

Call it VB Classic and start selling renewal licenses to it and create a small team to start working on fixes and incremental improvements to it.

You'll sell 10s of thousands of renew licenses and you'll keep VB a leader in the forum software market place. You'll quickly thwart your competitors plans to take advantage of the 4.X misstep you all made.

It's not that 4.X is bad or wrong. But it is not what the majority of 3.X forum owners want to upgrade to. I think we can all agree that this is the real world situation at this point and everyone should stop kidding themselves that 3.8 forums are going to upgrade to 4.X en masse any time soon.
    This is one of the best ideas I have heard in a long time. I agree, it is asking too much for my clients to upgrade their bread and butter to such a vastly different product as vb 4.x. It is just far too risky for them. They would rather spend the money for people like me to extend their current version. My clients have millions of dollars at stake here and simply refuse to upgrade any of their sites on their networks to 4.x. Clearly my clients are not the only ones taking that position, IB in fact seems to have also.

You want to know what your customers want, then read what we are saying here.

Leave a comment:

• creativepart
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    If you don't like the style, you can change it. The curves are created using CSS so if you don't like all the curves, strip them out for Firefox/Mozilla/Safari users. Why not look for a vB3 style such as this that's been created for vB4 (although it may need updated for the latest version) - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=247334?

Leave a comment:

• Suiram
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    Is it not? I fail to see why.
    well in my case i have the v4 suite but chose not to use it because frankly, like many others, i don't much like the look of it. like i stated before, i have no doubt this new glossy-like smooth look was designed for the ipad/iphone and other mobile devices. you can just tell by looking. too many curves and soft shadows. even the icons look worse. i for one sure hope a few more updates to the 3.8 family become available before it's retired.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by R1lover View Post
    I will third that as well....vb 4.x is not an option for the majority of users.
    Is it not? I fail to see why.

Leave a comment:

• R1lover
    replied
    Originally posted by Garamond View Post
    I second that. It seems we are going to face a continuing low priority in times when vB4's bug slashing goes on. It's just not fair.
    I will third that as well....vb 4.x is not an option for the majority of users.

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    It's coming soon.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Isaac
    replied
    Just looking to see the full version 3.8.7 not just a Beta, as that is unsupported. The full version was promised for before Christmas, but all we see is development on vB4. Let's be fair, there are probably a lot of licence payers who do not want to upgrade to vB4 at the moment and feel we are being pushed aside.

Bob

Leave a comment: