Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smiggy
    replied
    18 months ago since 3.8.3 was released by Kier, we've only got four paltry maintenance releases, LOL.

IB did a right dismal job continuing support for 3.8 all that time. You guys flopped miserably. Imagine how many releases we would've had by now if they had stuck with the original schedule with one maintenace release every 2 months.

vBulletin 4 will be defeated by XenForo.

Leave a comment:

• maxskill
    replied
    Originally posted by creativepart View Post
    Trevor, there's nothing wrong with VB 4.X. You folks have done a wonderful job on it. But, unfortunately, it's too different from 3.8 for the majority of VB 3.X users to ever upgrade to it. What needs to happen is VB needs to split the two versions -- 3.X and 4.X into two separate products and continue the life and development of 3.X.

Call it VB Classic and start selling renewal licenses to it and create a small team to start working on fixes and incremental improvements to it.

You'll sell 10s of thousands of renew licenses and you'll keep VB a leader in the forum software market place. You'll quickly thwart your competitors plans to take advantage of the 4.X misstep you all made.

It's not that 4.X is bad or wrong. But it is not what the majority of 3.X forum owners want to upgrade to. I think we can all agree that this is the real world situation at this point and everyone should stop kidding themselves that 3.8 forums are going to upgrade to 4.X en masse any time soon.
    I also wish to keep the 3X version I have the 3.8.7 now I have used the owned license for many years now and I would be glad to pay an small fee - for them to keep the 3.X versions going maybe 30 dollors a year or something and all I would want them to keep up would be the security updates, I do not need any new features ... why would I as of 3.8.4 ( around that time ) vbulletin had everything it needed right there ....
    Ps I have no plans on going to version 4X
    Just think about it ..... just think, most of your users still want to use the version 3X and there are many free message board programs out there .... do you really want to shoot yourself in the foot.

I wish you well with version 4 but keep us version 3 users in mind as well.

Leave a comment:

• Leadcrow
    replied
    vb.org can already extend vb3 in anyway you like, and there's tons of themes available all the same.
    vb4 should be fine if you don't upgrade everytime or as soon a new version appears. A familiar forum system for (our) users is after all the aim of having stuck out with it (even before IB/vb4), its not like users of our forums really care or have any interests in the stenuous parts of managing forums.

Common sense, perhaps not often enough reminded of: plan and test deployments, blame yourself for failure to do so. While updates could be somewhat stenuous (especially from v3 to v4), there's hardly sense in updating asap everytime. Bigboards certainly dont. Perhaps there's wisdom in that.

All for extending the life and development of the 3.x series.
    People that stuck with v3 have been clamoring and begging left and right for critical/security updates to v3. I dont see conservatism in updates being a bad thing. You definitely wouldnt have wanted 3.8.7 to be a major mess or unstable, especially for a now old version being laid to rest.

Leave a comment:

• creativepart
    replied
    So, it took something like 6 months to put out 3.8.7 and there are only 6 bug fixes -- one of which was only a bug because the 3.8.7 beta created it?

Wow. It's apparent that not much effort is going into this version. I realize that 4.X needs a LOT of attention. But VB/IB is really missing the boat with it's customers. Companies that do that do not succeed over the long haul.

It's a shame.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    All for extending the life and development of the 3.x series.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by IsMaR View Post
    I definitely have no interest in upgrading some of my forums to vb4.

Regarding the license extension option, if we bought one before, do we still have to get another one, I know it says that they have extended our period in the ebulletin, but, that doesn't appear to be the case.
    If you purchased a vB3 Maintenance package, and do not have the ability to download 3.8.7, please contact support.

Leave a comment:

• Jafo
    replied
    I am afraid I will not be upgrading to version 4.x either, nor will I be recommending it to my clients, some who own dozens of VB licenses. VB classic would have kept them renewing. Oh well. Good luck with your future endeavors IB.

Leave a comment:

• IsMaR
    replied
    I definitely have no interest in upgrading some of my forums to vb4.

Regarding the license extension option, if we bought one before, do we still have to get another one, I know it says that they have extended our period in the ebulletin, but, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Stenning
    replied
    I would also like to see vB 3.8.x continued as a "vB classic" type product. But since even security patches will be discontinued when vB 4.2 is released it seems that there is no chance of that.

I do not intend to "upgrade" to the vB 4.x series because neither me, the forum moderators or users who I have asked to look at it here like it. vB 3.8.x works for us and we will stick with it (upgrading to 3.8.7 today) for now.

Ultimately though it looks like we will need to investigate competing products such as phpBB which are continuing to be supported and are retaining the focus as a forum and not a whole big CMS/community/blog/whatever package.

vBulletin lose out by being shortsighted. Their loss.

Leave a comment:

• motowebmaster
    replied
    I think it's a great idea to maintain the 3.8x series for an extended period. If a new feature were desired, that would be worth considering a migration to vb4 or something else.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    We hope to release it this week

Leave a comment:

• Jafo
    replied
    Originally posted by melbo View Post
    Have there been any official updates on 3.8.7?
    Not that I have heard.

Leave a comment:

• melbo
    replied
    Have there been any official updates on 3.8.7?

Leave a comment:

• Leadcrow
    replied
    VB will put 3.X on End of Life status. This is NOT something that will be good for the VB community.
    Deciding to call v3 EOL only engages IB and support staff here (which can decide to support or not whatever versions and for any reason, really).

The community will most certainly continue supporting it. In fact, freelancing services for support, security fixes and unofficial updates might become viable, since vBS would no longer be 'competing' against freelancers providing such services for v3.

Leave a comment:

• creativepart
    replied
    Originally posted by smiggy View Post
    Btw, according to IBAdrian, 3.8.7 will be released today.
    Didn't happen.

I still say we have to create some noise or this issue or VB will put 3.X on End of Life status. This is NOT something that will be good for the VB community.

Leave a comment: