Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else seeing an army of spammy new user registrations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chaz7979 View Post
    But, people in this thread are saying that Q&A is not working. Are they wrong?
    Question and answer does work, you must give your questions some thought though.

Comment

Question... if I am getting hit with registrations every couple of minutes and turn registrations off for a week, only to turn them back on to see more registrations... does that mean the bot/script is continuously hitting that page all day every day?

Side note: does VB ever offer sales/deals on upgrades? Am I going to buy VB4 only to have VB5 come out in a few months?
      Chuck
      SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

vb5 is not coming out in a few months.
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

I use Q&A and our initial posting is moderated. But for the first time, we are having spam that has not been approved through moderation that are appearing on the forum.

That is completely new and a potentially big problem.

Has anyone else seen this?

FB

Comment

Simple, basic Q&As did not work for us e.g. colour of snow/grass and simple sums.

vbStopForumSpam has prevented 860 registrations in the last 7 days.

PC Pro Magazine has just published a blog article on this here

Comment

After i switched to question/answer kind of protection, with questions in my local language based of local language and location only, i'm still seeing the bots registerring like before
              Any idea why it's happening?

Comment

Originally posted by chaz7979 View Post
                But, people in this thread are saying that Q&A is not working. Are they wrong?
                It's working for me. Since putting in the Q&A instead of anything else, I haven't had one single bot register. That was nearly a week ago.
                The Number 2 Oldskool Site
                Its All About Oldskool

Comment

Originally posted by use-ip View Post
                  I just installed the vbStopForumSpam add-in product and this has successfully stopped most of the new registrations - it works by recognising known spammer user names, IP addresses etc.
                  It's quick & easy to install, and way more effective than messing around with CAPTCHA/Q&A or additional registration fields.
                  A few are still managing to register, but it's a lot better than it was.
                  18 sign-ups prevented in the last 90 mins.

Why the sudden attraction to an almost three year old vb forum?
                  Thanks for that link, didn't know for sure if vBulletin had that or not. I installed it, and we'll see how much of a impact it does.

Comment

Funny thing, I haven't had one spammer since switching to Q&A. All i did was ask one simple question. What year is it?

Comment

Ive also updated my custom registration code. We are a uk forum, so non uk registrations now get routed to a special usergroup whose posts are moderated (99% of non uk reg's are spammers in our case).

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                        Ive also updated my custom registration code. We are a uk forum, so non uk registrations now get routed to a special usergroup whose posts are moderated (99% of non uk reg's are spammers in our case).
                        How do you autodetect if the users are from UK?

Comment

ive switched to Q&A as well. So far so good. For those of you using Q&A, how many questions do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima View Post
                            ive switched to Q&A as well. So far so good. For those of you using Q&A, how many questions do you have?
                            I have 15 ATM.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by SpyCam View Post
                              How do you autodetect if the users are from UK?
                              Geocoding software - there are plenty of free examples about - I adapted one called ip2country.

Comment

I'm looking for ways to get rid of hundreds of users registered since the New Year me, all bots.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X