Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else seeing an army of spammy new user registrations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've seen loads too - 260 today. We normally get about 10 overnight.

I've switched to Q+A so we'll see how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by dollshouse View Post
      We've seen loads too - 260 today. We normally get about 10 overnight.

I've switched to Q+A so we'll see how that goes.
      I switched and haven't had one spammer in 30 hours.

Comment

I'm having the same experience, over 100 new registrations by spammers in the past few days. Recaptcha doesn't seem to be doing well.

Comment

I've turned captacha and questions and answers off, I may be getting spam registrations but they have no impact as my site is locked down tight and there is no where for them to put their links, I also use the stop forum spam plugin and then I just prune the people that have not visted for 6 months with zero posts every so often.

Comment

I read the recaptcha was cracked and this is why the influx in spam registrations. http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/co...APTCHA-cracked
            I have recaptcha and also a question and answer and im still getting 40 a day on two forums i administrator.
            Last edited by StevieGooGs; Mon 10 Jan '11, 10:26am.

Comment

Yes, you can, it can be used to format or only acept very specific answers.

Comment

I've switched back to Q&A. Recaptcha is hopeless atm.
                Baby, I was born this way

Comment

I too was hammered by spammers this past week. I changed to Q&A validation, and no more new spambots registrations.

I deleted over 120 spambots accounts with the email @mail.ru that were created between Jan 5-9.

Then I check for new registrations between Jan 5 - 9, and there are over 800 new accounts. I usually get 10-20 new real registrations daily, so most of those registrations are spambots.

I need to find a way to mass delete these spam accounts that were created in this time frame, but don't know how. I'm running vB 3.8.x.
                  Last edited by pulsorock; Tue 11 Jan '11, 6:16am. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

I usually do user pruning. If the account has not been logged in for 6 months and has 0 posts, then that account gets deleted. Of course that would take 6 months to clean our all the spam accounts, but it will eventually get done. You can lower that number to 3 months if you want or even 1 if you want to get crazy.

But yeah there has been a large number of spammers firing up and the Q&A plus stopforumspam.com is a great solution.
                    47. Software of the kind released by XL generally takes several years to research and develop, as did vBulletin. Based, in part, on the speed in which the XenForo product was released slightly more than a year after Darby and Sullivan left VBSI, VBSI is informed and believes, and on that basis alleges, that Darby and Sullivan retained Jelsoft's and VBSI's proprietary materials obtained during their employment by Jelsoft pertaining to existing and future versions of vBulletin ...

Comment

Spam-O-Matic has been working very well for me. Definitely a big onslaught lately - in my case against a three-month-old site and a one-month-old site. Those guys are relentless.

Comment

I don't think this is people being paid. I was first hit around the new year so, I shut off new user registration for an entire week. I just turned it back on for 30 minutes and had 10 new spam registrations. Unless those people were sitting around waiting patiently for me to turn my registration back on, this is definitely a bot. What is strange is the speed and relentlessness. I dont know how my site is being targeted but, it would be nice if the people at VB could do something about this.

Is 4.0 having the same issue?
                        Chuck
                        SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Originally posted by chaz7979 View Post
                          Is 4.0 having the same issue?
                          It is hitting all forums (vB,IPB,phpBB,etc.)without proper defence.
                          Captcha,Recaptcha have been defeated.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                            It is hitting all forums (vB,IPB,phpBB,etc.)without proper defence.
                            Captcha,Recaptcha have been defeated.
                            This is because of companies paying people to sit and take note of every possible combination of the images, the bots now have a massive database to work through, hence why the bots are getting through the registration process.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieGooGs View Post
                              This is because of companies paying people to sit and take note of every possible combination of the images, the bots now have a massive database to work through, hence why the bots are getting through the registration process.
                              They cannot record all possible combinations of questions and answers,that's why they are successful defeting the bots.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                                They cannot record all possible combinations of questions and answers,that's why they are successful defeting the bots.
                                But, people in this thread are saying that Q&A is not working. Are they wrong?
                                Chuck
                                SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X