Myisam v. Innodb Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myisam v. Innodb Help

Here is my current situation. Our site has been featured on a major cable outlet and the show will be repeating regularly. Our site and server are just getting overwhelmed with the initial response. We recently upgraded to the most powerful server our cloud provider can support. Here is our current server specs:

Intel Dual Xeon X5650
    CentOS 5.5 64bit

Our developer has a few questions that we would like answered so that we can optimize the site and our databases.

Here are his comments:

Your database is currently set to myisam, you need to find out if the tables (thread and post tables in particular) can be converted to innodb

What I’m seeing is excessive table locks when people are posting, and I think there is a significant benefit to going to a db engine that supports row level locking at opposed to table level.

The drawback is that you lose the ability to do full text searches in the database (that’s the question they need to answer: “will using innodb break anything?” / “do you use full text searches anywhere?”

If anyone knows the answer to this question or can give us a good solution we would appreciate it.

Check the articles in my signature.

You need SPHINX Search (available free on this site); and there is a guide to innodb conversion too.
    anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
    Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
    Please be my friend!
    http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
    vBulletin Performance Articles:
    Click here to read

Comment

This one:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry...oDB-Conversion
      anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
      Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
      Please be my friend!
      http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
      vBulletin Performance Articles:
      Click here to read

Comment

Originally posted by IBxAnders View Post
        Hello -

For clarification, natecoupons posted this question in the 3.8 area. According to the link IBxAnders posted:

"Prior to vBulletin4, the main "post" table was impossible to convert to InnoDB without breaking the default fulltext search engine. The same problem also affected the "thread" table, making optimization hard - and requiring a third party search engine. One of the great benefits introduced in vBulletin4 is a search engine that is segmented away from the "post" and "thread" tables in the database schema."

1. Are you saying that SPHINX Search will correct the search issue, and this is the only issue that will arise from the conversion?
        2. If we change the settings in the cp from Fulltext Search to the vBulletin Search engine, will there then be no problems, and no need for SPINX?
        Last edited by doubleclick; Sun 2 Jan '11, 12:43pm.

Comment

Can someone at least answer this part:

If we change the settings in the cp from Fulltext Search to the vBulletin Search engine, will there then be no problems, and no need for SPINX? Is the alternative to fulltext search unaffected by the change to innodb?

Comment

My host installed Sphinx for me, but I have no idea how to implement it. It seems that is WAY over my head. What I have done instead, as preparation for the conversion to Innodb is to use a google search widget narrowed down to my forum directory.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X