Restoration of Deleted Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration of Deleted Threads

Okay - I don't want to go into it fully but threads were mass deleted from a forum on my board. I have a recentish backup of the entire board. Is it possible to restore all threads that were in that forum from the backup? How much of a chore would this be?

Thank You,

Greg

No sorry, there is no way to do a partial import. However what you could try it to setup a test forum and restore that backup to it. After then remove all the other forums and posts, then try importing what is left.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hmm. I'm aiming to do the method above. I've backed up the live forum once more, just to be sure. I have one question though - If I restore the tables that have been pruned down to just include the missing data (on the test forum) - when I import the tables, won't they replace the 'full live' tables completely? or just add the new records?

Which tables would you reccomend importing? vb_thread and vb_post? I'm not really bothered about anything else.

Thanks again, Steve (:

Greg

Comment

No, do not restore pruned down tables. This will only mess things up. The best bet to get this done correctly is to follow my instructions in post #2.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I already tried that and Yeh.. It did kind of mess things up. Had to re-import the tables again from a full backup.

I don't really follow post #2 - What would you reccomend I actually do?

Comment

Originally posted by smooth-c View Post
            Okay - I don't want to go into it fully but threads were mass deleted from a forum on my board. I have a recentish backup of the entire board. Is it possible to restore all threads that were in that forum from the backup? How much of a chore would this be?

Thank You,

Greg
            Well, actually you can readd those threads, posts from your backup but it is a very time consuming and somewhat difficult process. You must really know what you are doing. I have done it a couple of times for my clients and it was a major pita.

Comment

As per post #2, setup a test forum then restore your backup to that. After that, delete all the forums except for the one you wish to import. Then install Impex and use that to import that forum, threads and posts.

I cannot state with certainty this will work, but it's really your only viable option outside of hieing a MySQL expert to fix this for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ah see. I was going to use impex but under the system list I only saw vBulletin 3.7.x and not 3.8.x (which I use) though it's in the target list, to be imported to. I might give it a go then and just select 3.7.x

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X