Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RobFerrari
    replied
    thanks for the help everyone, I contacted Paypal directly from their site and got this response that confirms it is a phishing attempt. it is a solid attempt though, because I do use paid subscriptions and paypal heavily, they also had most of my personal info and url correct, only part that was wrong that tipped me off was subscriptions/paypal.php.

Dear Rob Lay,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

I have checked your account and I can assure you that there are no suspicious/unauthorized activities. There is nothing for you to worry about. You received a spoof email that wishes to mislead and obtain sensitive information from you. PayPal will never ask you to provide this information outside of our secure website.

Please forward the email to [email protected] and then delete it from your mailbox.

To learn more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

I am glad I was able to resolve your issue today. We hope you'll tell your friends about our service.

Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Sincerely,
    Moises
    PayPal Consumer Support
    PayPal, an eBay Company

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    I really can't explain it but if someone was attempting to "fake" a page on your site trying to act as your paypal page you might see an error like this. The hacker may have been guessing you had a page with that name.

I'm just speculating as what would cause that email to be generated by paypal because I'm pretty sure it's real. If you don't get more I wouldn't worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• RobFerrari
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    it might be a hacking attempt.
    trying to hack my site or my paypal? how would they be going about that? link isn't valid, not asking me for any info, no redirected url or login.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    That was my first thought.

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    it might be a hacking attempt.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Could they be doing a redirect from the htaccess or something somehow?

Leave a comment:

• RobFerrari
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    what url was in the email? if it was to a different url it was a scam, if it was to your site it's legit. phishing emails need you to click on a fake link... i don't see one here.
    the actual link in the email is...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sub...ons/paypal.php

which is my url, but there is no such thing as a subscriptions folder or paypal.php.

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    i googled this, they seem legit...

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    what url was in the email? if it was to a different url it was a scam, if it was to your site it's legit. phishing emails need you to click on a fake link... i don't see one here.

Leave a comment:

• RobFerrari
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Sorry, but what ideas are you looking for? Sounds like a phishing attempt to me.
    just confirmation it was phishing. although I would think others have seen the same one, over 100 views and no one has commented. all my subscriptions are still activating automatically, so don't think any problems yet.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Sorry, but what ideas are you looking for? Sounds like a phishing attempt to me.

Leave a comment:

• RobFerrari
    replied
    any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• RobFerrari
    started a topic paid subscription phishing email?

paid subscription phishing email?

this is a very legit looking email from Paypal. I went to paypal and no message from them in the client. the link isn't valid, as everyone knows there is no such thing as a subscription folder.

any ideas?

Hello Rob Lay,

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sub...ons/paypal.php

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Thanks,

PayPal