No announcement yet.

Admin Control Panel showing incorrect vBulletin version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the link I've always been using to download 3.8.6 PL1.

I am actually trying the entire update/install process again as I write this, only this time I am using a Windows XP based machine. I am also using FileZilla as my FTP client, so hopefully it solves the problem (I have a sneaking suspicion there's some kind of limit/issue with Cyberduck).

Fingers crossed.
    Michael
    www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Nope. Same problem, even after using FileZilla on a Windows machine.

The update appeared to go smoothly, all the files listed in the top right-hand corner of the update/install screens said 3.8.6 and when I initially log into the Admin CP, everything was fine. But, once I log out of the CP and log back in again, it says I'm running 3.7.2 PL1 and all the same suspect files appear during the diagnostic. I also checked the version_vbulletin.php file and it says '3.7.2 Patch Level 1'.

I no longer think it's an FTP issue, seeing as I've conducted this update using two different FTP clients (one on a Mac, and on on a PC) and the results are identical.

I'm starting to think BirdOPrey5 might be on to something in suggesting this might have something to do with the server reverting to older file versions.
      Michael
      www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Are the "missing" files (from your post earlier this morning) in the download on the XP machine?

Comment

The only file on that list that I've been able to find in the latest download is "version_vbulletin.php". I've checked it and it's the correct "3.8.6 Patch Level 1" version.

Should I FTP that file up to the server to see what happens?
          Michael
          www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Yes, then run install/finalupgrade.php.

Very odd that your download doesn't have those other files, as each of the downloads is a "new install" version unless you select a no-smilies version. You might file a support ticket (inside members.vbulletin.com) about this. Provide a link to this thread if you choose to file a support ticket.

Comment

Done and done!

It looks like uploading the "correct" version_vbulletin.php file has fixed the issue of the Admin CP warning me I am still running 3.7.2 Patch Level 1 (Yay!)

However I still get the same 43 files showing as "not recognized as part of vBulletin" when I run the suspect files diagnostic. These are all the same files I could not find in the 3.8.6 Patch Level 1 ZIP download.

I've raised a support ticket with my web host to see if there is indeed something running on the server that reverted the "version_vbulletin.php" file to the old one after I initially FTPed the files to the server. I think I will also take your suggestion of raising a support ticket with vBulletin to find out why those files aren't included with the 3.8.6 PL1 download.

If it turns out those files listed are no longer needed, I don't have an issue deleting each one of them off the server, but I don't want to do so unless I am absolutely certain there won't be any adverse affects to the site itself. Scanning through the names of those files, I recognize some as third party mods which were - at one point - running on the site, but are no longer in use (ie. arcade.php, timeslips.php, traderratings.php, and vBChat.php are all parts of mods/plug-ins that are not being used on the site anymore).

Is there any way to safely figure out whether these files are safe to delete?
              Michael
              www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

The files that I asked you to re-upload are definately part of vBulletin.

Any of the others, download to your local machine before deleting ... that way in case I missed one, you can put it back.

Glad you were able to get the AdminCP problem fixed... please update us again once you hear back from your host.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesC70 View Post
                  The files that I asked you to re-upload are definately part of vBulletin.
                  OK, I just tried downloading vBulletin 3.8.5 (one version older than the one I just installed on my server) to see if I can locate these 'missing' files. I figured maybe they were missed in the latest 3.8.6 PL1 ZIP file.

Well wouldn't you know it, they aren't in the vB 3.8.5 ZIP file either.

Not to doubt you or question your knowledge (you've been incredibly helpful), but are you absolutely certain these files are part of vBulletin 3.8.6?

Any of the others, download to your local machine before deleting ... that way in case I missed one, you can put it back.
                  That's a good idea. I think I'll try that with each of the files not listed above and see if there's any adverse affects to the site. If not, I'll just delete them permanently. I'll also write the previous site owner and see if he can lend any insight into some of the third party mods as well.

Glad you were able to get the AdminCP problem fixed... please update us again once you hear back from your host.
                  I'm also glad the AdminCP issue is no longer present, but I can't help to wonder why some files didn't get updated... and if there are any others that also didn't get updated which I haven't discovered yet.

I'd like to install vbAdvanced CMPS on my site next, but I don't want to do so until I have all these little issues sorted out first.

I have heard back from my web host and they have confirmed there's nothing running on the server that would revert any files I upload to an older version; the only way such a thing would happen is if I requested a backup to be restored.
                  Michael
                  www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Next suggestion is to re-upload only these files to the server:

./clientscript
                    vbulletin_editor.js
                    vbulletin_moziwyg.js
                    vbulletin_quickreply.js
                    vbulletin_stdedit.js
                    vbulletin_stdedit_lang.js
                    vbulletin_wysiwyg.js
                    Of these files the only one I have on my 3.8.6 install is: vbulletin_quickreply.js

I would double check ALL the other files to see if they aren't in the 3.8.6 zip before deleting any of them, and definitely back up before deleting.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
                      Of these files the only one I have on my 3.8.6 install is: vbulletin_quickreply.js
                      Are you sure its vbulletin_quickreply.js and not vbulletin_quick_reply.js? I've seen the second file (vbulletin_quick_reply.js) in the ZIP file but not the vbulletin_quickreply.js.
                      Michael
                      www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

My bad, you are right, it is vbulletin_quick_reply.js... sorry.

Comment

No need to apologize. Besides, I really appreciate the help (from everyone).

I just checked the clientscript directory on my server and it contains both vbulletin_quick_reply.js and vbulletin_quickreply.js files. The vbulletin_quick_reply.js file is from version vBulletin 3.7.2 PL1, while the vbulletin_quickreply.js file dates back to vBulletin 3.0.5! Between the two files, only the second file shows up in the Suspect File Versions diagnostics, so I am going to assume that the first file, despite being from vB 3.7.2 PL1, is fine.

Of course, that still doesn't explain why the latest version of vbulletin_quick_reply.js (from the vB 3.8.6 PL1 ZIP file) didn't replace the file from vB 3.7.2 PL1.

Does this mean I can safely delete the file vbulletin_quickreply.js?
                          Michael
                          www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

yes you can delete the 3.0.5 file, but always keep a backup just in case.

But the bigger problem is your 3.7.2 files... they need to be updated to 3.8.6.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
                              But the bigger problem is your 3.7.2 files... they need to be updated to 3.8.6.
                              I agree. In fact, just looking through the 'includes' and 'clientscript' directories on the server (immediately under public_html), it looks like none of the files in these directories have been updated! They are all dated 15/08/08, with the exception of a few that are dated as far back as 2004/2005. The only file that's actually up-to-date is the version_vbulletin.php file which I manually FTPed up to the server before running install/finalupgrade.php earlier today. What's funny is that all the files in these directories under the 'forums' directory are the latest versions!

What am I doing wrong?!?
                              Michael
                              www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

What are you using to upload them ?

Sounds to me like whatever it is, you have it set not to overwrite any existing file on the destination.
                                Baby, I was born this way

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X