No announcement yet.

Admin Control Panel showing incorrect vBulletin version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when you run through the upgrade again now?
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

There's no change.

I've just run through the update and all went fine (all the files listed in the top right-hand-corner of the update screens showed v3.8.6), and when I logged into the Admin CP immediately following the update, it showed the correct version of vBulletin (3.8.6 PL1) and the suspect files diagnostic listed no suspect files (exactly what I'd want to see, correct?)

Yet once I logout and log back into the Admin CP again I get the same behaviour: incorrect vBulletin version (3.7.2 PL1) and all the same files listed in the suspect files diagnostic list.

I find it odd that the Admin CP would be "fine" upon initial forum update, then shows these problems when I log out and log back in again. I thought maybe it was a browser cache issue, but I've cleared the browser's cache several times already and that doesn't seem to help.

Any other thoughts?
      Michael
      www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

I had this problem with one of the 3.7's.... forget which one.... changing the cookie prefix solved it. (Changing the cookie prefix changes your session id, I believe, which fools the server's cache into re-reading everything it's previously cached.)

Comment

Hi JamesC70, thanks for the response.

Forgive the newbie question, but how do I go about changing the cookie prefix? Is this something I do through the vBulletin Admin CP or is this a change in my browser?
          Michael
          www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

It's in your includes/config.php, which resides on the server. FTP it down to your local machine, change the cookie prefix (default is either blank or "bb", I forget which), and then FTP it back.

On my forums, I use an abbreviation of the forum name for the cookie prefix.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesC70 View Post
              It's in your includes/config.php, which resides on the server. FTP it down to your local machine, change the cookie prefix (default is either blank or "bb", I forget which), and then FTP it back.

On my forums, I use an abbreviation of the forum name for the cookie prefix.
              So I can make this prefix anything I want?

This raises an interesting question. I modified the config.php file that came with the original download of vBulletin 3.8.6 PL1 (as per the installation instructions). I've read later, after uploading and running the update, that it isn't necessary to modify the config.php file if updating from a version of vBulletin 3.6.x or higher. If this is true, do you think this is what may be causing these issues?
              Michael
              www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

You can make the prefix any alphanumeric combination you like, though traditionally it's two to three letters followed by an underscore.

The only way config.php would make a difference is if your 3.7.2 defined one cache (known to work) and 3.8.6 defines a different one (possibly buggy or outdated) that just happened to be on the server. Do you still have a copy of the 3.7.2 config to verify against?

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have the old config.php file anymore. I did up until last night before performing the update, but I emptied my trash folder before going to bed.

I do have the directory and databases backed up just prior to performing the update... maybe I can get it from those archives? Let me see what I can do.
                  Michael
                  www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Pop into AdminCP -> Maintenance -> View PHP Info, and see what caches are installed on your server. The most commonly found ones are APC, Memcache, and XCache, but your host might have something else on there too. Be sure that they're turned "on" (see circle near top of screenshot).
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20101108-apc-vbc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	3680661

On my server, I only have APC, so that's the one I specified in config.php.

If you have more than one cache available, try specifying a different one in config.sys and see what happens. Worst thing is that you'll get white screen errors on the forum -- if so, try another cache, or go back to whatever's specified in config.sys right now.

Nab the version number and build date off the PHP Info screen (just below the red circle in the screenshot above), Google the cache name to find the support site, and see if there's a substantially newer one available. If so, ask your host to upgrade it for you.

Having said all this: have you tried changing the cookie prefix yet? If that solves the problem, then don't worry about the cache program right now.

Comment

I haven't tried the cookie prefix fix yet. I just performed a rather DEEP cache file cleaning (required a shutdown and restart in "single-user" mode) just to rule out the potential that this is simply a cached file issue with my browser. Turns out it's not.

I did, however pop into the AdminCP and checked out the PHP Info as you'd suggested, and what comes up for me looks NOTHING like what you're showing. I get a SLEW of stuff which I've never seen before (nor do I know what they are)!

Interestingly, I did manage to retrieve my old config.php file from the archives and I compared it to the current config.php file on the server. Both have the cookie prefix set to 'bb', however - and this is the truly strange part - both state at the top of each file they are vBulletin version 3.5.2!!! WTF?!? And what's stranger still, I found a config.php.new file on the server and in the archive that are both for vBulletin version 3.7.2 Patch Level 1. This is leading me to believe that even when the site was running in 3.7.2 PL1, vBulletin was using the config.php file from 3.5.2. Is that possible?

Now I know I am new to all this stuff, but all these different file versions floating around seems very very weird to me.

I should also mention, I purchased this site a couple of years ago from someone who, for all intents and purposes, wants nothing to do with the site anymore (so turning to him for help in deciphering any of this is of no use). This is the first time I have ever conducted an update to the vBulletin software so all of this is truly, very new to me. The only relief I have right now is that the front end of the site seems to be working fine, and the site members aren't experiencing any issues or problems (at least, none that I'm aware of). However, I have to wonder if these differing file versions aren't posing a security risk to the site as a whole...?
                      Michael
                      www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Way back when, when 3.5 was brand new, there WAS a config file difference between it and previous versions. The version number in config.php told vB Support if someone didn't copy the new config file over during an upgrade.

All versions of 3.5 and later (through 3.8.6 PL1 definately, and I don't remember needing to change it for 4.0) use the 3.5 config file, so don't worry about the version number there.

Do the old config.php from backup and the current one both show the same cache setting? That was the point of my posting PHP Info, as a workaround to determine what's on your server should the 3.7.2 config.php not be available in backups.

The PHP Info screen shows everything available to PHP, not just cache programs. You should see basic PHP configuration first, then add-on modules. My screenshot may have been a bit misleading on this point. I apologize for that.

I'm starting to wonder ... with the mismatched files you listed above for Trevor (some are vB files, some are for mods) AND the incorrect version_vbulletin.php (which should read 3.8.6, not 3.7.2, by now) .... does your FTP program have a limit as to how much it'll transfer in a session? Is it possible that you started an upload, went to grab a sandwich, and came back, missing a transfer error in the FTP log? (I'm on Windows so I'm not familiar with your FTP program.)

I used to have an FTP program that was trialware.... it'd work for 10 minutes then stop with a "upgrade to bypass the time limit" notice....

Next suggestion is to re-upload only these files to the server:

./clientscript
                        vbulletin_editor.js
                        vbulletin_moziwyg.js
                        vbulletin_quickreply.js
                        vbulletin_stdedit.js
                        vbulletin_stdedit_lang.js
                        vbulletin_wysiwyg.js

./includes
                        adminfunctions_importexport.php
                        adminfunctions_ranks.php
                        datastore_cache.php
                        db_mysql.php
                        functions_bbcodeparse.php
                        functions_image.php
                        functions_regimage.php
                        functions_register.php
                        functions_showthread.php
                        functions_subscriptions.php
                        functions_upload.php
                        functions_xml.php
                        mail.php
                        sessions.php
                        version_vbulletin.php

Once you've done this, re-run finalupgrade.php, then go into AdminCP and see if the problem's fixed. If not, re-run Suspect File Check to see if these files are still unrecognized.

I'm in and out the rest of the afternoon, so if Trevor or Lynne wants to jump in here before I return, they're more than welcome to.

Comment

Hi again JamesC70. Thanks again for all the help - I really do appreciate all the information. I may be new to this stuff, but I'm not a complete moron, so believe it or not much of this is sinking in.

Unfortunately, like yourself I'm going to be out for the rest of the afternoon/evening as well. However, I will attempt to answer your questions and try to implement your latest suggestion once I get back later this evening.

I will keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks again for the help, and if you think of anything else that I could try or check, please feel free to post it.
                          Michael
                          www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

If the version_vbulletin.php file continues to say:
                            Code:
                            <?php
                            define('FILE_VERSION_VBULLETIN', '3.7.2 Patch Level 1');
                            ?>
                            Than either your FTP did not complete correctly or something on your server is restoring the old files overwriting your new ones. Until this file reads the correct/new version number playing with the cache or config.php isn't going to help.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesC70 View Post

Next suggestion is to re-upload only these files to the server:

./clientscript
                              vbulletin_editor.js
                              vbulletin_moziwyg.js
                              vbulletin_quickreply.js
                              vbulletin_stdedit.js
                              vbulletin_stdedit_lang.js
                              vbulletin_wysiwyg.js

./includes
                              adminfunctions_importexport.php
                              adminfunctions_ranks.php
                              datastore_cache.php
                              db_mysql.php
                              functions_bbcodeparse.php
                              functions_image.php
                              functions_regimage.php
                              functions_register.php
                              functions_showthread.php
                              functions_subscriptions.php
                              functions_upload.php
                              functions_xml.php
                              mail.php
                              sessions.php
                              version_vbulletin.php
                              I'd like to try the suggestion of re-FTPing the above listed files to the server and running finalupgrade.php again, but I can't seem to find any of these files in the vBulletin 3.8.6.PL1 ZIP file download. Am I looking in the wrong place for these?!?
                              Michael
                              www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

If your 3.8.6PL1 file is *just* the patch file, not the entire install download, then yeah, you'll be missing some files. Pop back over to the members area and download from the link on the right side of the screen. See red circle in screenshot.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	20101109-ma-vbc.png
Views:	1
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	3680669

Once you have that file, unpack it on your local machine, rename the "upload" directory to whatever folder you keep your forum in (on my site, it's renamed "forums"), then FTP that directory to the same location on your server.

Then, initiate the upgrade process by going to www.yoursite.com/forum-path/install/upgrade.php

Watch the version numbers during the upgrade, as Trevor or Steve said before... PL's don't always display as such, but you should see the progression from 3.7.2 to 3.8.6 as the files are installed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X