Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin Control Panel showing incorrect vBulletin version

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing an issue with the wrong vBulletin version being shown in the Admin Control Panel. I've just updated from 3.7.2 PL1 to 3.8.6 PL1. As far as the site's 'front end' is concerned, it seems the update went fine and all pages show "vBulletin v3.8.6". However when logged into the Administration Control Panel it is still showing as the previous version (3.7.2 Patch Level 1), informing me that a new version (3.8.6 Patch Level 1) is available.

This is a bit odd, since when I first conducted the update and logged into the Admin CP, it showed I was running the new version (3.8.6 PL1); even when I login now, the window says "vBulletin 3.8.6 Admin Control Panel" above the username and password input boxes.

I thought maybe it was refresh issue, but after shutting down and restarting my browser a number of times, the problem persists. I've run the maintenance diagnostics for suspect file versions, and the result is approximately 43 files that are not recognized as part of vBulletin.

How can I fix this?

Thanks very much in advance.
    Michael
    www.superchargerhelp.com

Rerun fnalupgrade.php and make sure that the versions in the upper right-hand corner all show 3.8.6. If not, then upload ALL the 3.8.6 files and rerun upgrade.php.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

OK, forgive my ignorance, but how do I run fnalupgrade.php?

I'm a noob w.r.t. vBulletin (just performing the upgrade to 3.8.6 PL1 was a BIG deal for me), so you're going to have to walk me through a few things.
      Michael
      www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Your forum URL plus 'install/finalupgrade.php'.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Great, thanks!

I'll give it a shot right now.
          Michael
          www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

BTW - should I turn off my board before running finalupgrade.php?

I've just tried to run this (www.mysite.com/forums/install/finalupgrade.php) and it's asking for my vBulletin customer number... is this normal?
            Michael
            www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

OK, I've just run finalupgrade.php as suggested, and all the versions shown in the top right-hand corner were 3.8.6.

I logged into the Admin CP after running finalupgrade.php and it showed the correct version of vBulletin (3.8.6 PL1). However after logging out of the Admin CP and logging back in, it's showing the old version again.

Now what?
              Michael
              www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Originally posted by SCH View Post
                OK, I've just run finalupgrade.php as suggested, and all the versions shown in the top right-hand corner were 3.8.6.

I logged into the Admin CP after running finalupgrade.php and it showed the correct version of vBulletin (3.8.6 PL1). However after logging out of the Admin CP and logging back in, it's showing the old version again.

Now what?
                When you've logged into the Admin Control Panel, press CTRL+F5, this will force your browser cache to clear and update with new data from your server.

This is what *sounds* like is happening, so try that and see what happens. Try another browser too...

The only other thing I can think of, is maybe you didn't upload all of the new files correctly. But, try the CTRL+F5 first and then let's see what happens.
                To be updated...

Comment

Hi ENF, thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, CTRL+F5 doesn't work for me as I'm on a Mac... no CTRL key. Besides, CTRL+F5 won't clear my browser's (Safari) cache.

However as per your suggestion I cleared my browser's cache manually, yet when I logged into the Admin Control Panel again it still showed the same problem: incorrect vB version. Funnily enough, when I login as a Moderator (instead of as Administrator) the Control Panel indicates the correct vB version. Very odd...

I have no idea as to how I could have uploaded the new files incorrectly. If it makes a difference, I'm using Cyberduck (a very popular FTP program for the Mac) and I had the default FTP file transfer mode set to "Auto" to automatically switch between Binary and ASCII for the various file types during upload. I've also had the "Change Permissions" set to change the permissions to the local file/folder of all uploaded files... Do these settings sound ok?

Still open to suggestions / ideas.
                  Michael
                  www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Are any files listed?

Also, what version does the includes/version_vbulletin.php file say on your server?
                    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                    -
                    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                      Run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Are any files listed?
                      Hi Trevor, thanks for the response.

I just finished running the suspect file versions diagnostics and 43 files are listed, all coming back as "File not recognized as part of vBulletin". Here's a list of those files and directories under which they fall:

Suspect File Versions
                      ./
                      arcade.php
                      cp.css
                      private2.php
                      regimage.php
                      sendtofriend.php
                      subscriptions.php
                      timeslips.php
                      traderratings.php
                      vBChat.php
                      vbcode.js
                      vbcode_language.js

./admincp
                      admin_vbchat.php
                      arcadeadmin.php
                      flashpoker.game.php
                      importexport.php
                      read_pms.php
                      reminder.php

./archive

./clientscript
                      activecell.htc
                      vbulletin_editor.js
                      vbulletin_moziwyg.js
                      vbulletin_quickreply.js
                      vbulletin_stdedit.js
                      vbulletin_stdedit_lang.js
                      vbulletin_wysiwyg.js

./clientscript/yui

./clientscript/yui/connection

./clientscript/yui/yahoo-dom-event

./images/regimage/fonts

./includes
                      adminfunctions_importexport.php
                      adminfunctions_ranks.php
                      datastore_cache.php
                      db_mysql.php
                      functions_arcade.php
                      functions_bbcodeparse.php
                      functions_image.php
                      functions_regimage.php
                      functions_register.php
                      functions_showthread.php
                      functions_subscriptions.php
                      functions_upload.php
                      functions_xml.php
                      mail.php
                      sessions.php

./includes/cron
                      arcadeupdate.php
                      vbchat.php

./includes/paymentapi

./includes/xml
                      cpnav_rpm.xml

./modcp

Also, what version does the includes/version_vbulletin.php file say on your server?
                      I just opened the file version_vbulletin.php and this is what I found:

<?php
                      define('FILE_VERSION_VBULLETIN', '3.7.2 Patch Level 1');
                      ?>

Is there where the problem lies? Should I just edit the version_vbulletin.php file, or do I need to delete some (or all) of the suspect listed file versions and run finalupgrade.php again?

Strange that this file wasn't updated when I updated my site... is this normal?
                      Michael
                      www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

Can you try re-downloading the ZIP file from the Members Area and re-upload all files (except install/install.php and includes/config.php.new) making sure you overwrite all files currently on your server.

Does this resolve the problem?
                        Vote for:

-

Comment

Can you try re-downloading the ZIP file from the Members Area and re-upload all files (except install/install.php and includes/config.php.new) making sure you overwrite all files currently on your server.
                          Sure, I can try it. Two questions before I do so though:

1. Should I turn off my board and perform a full backup before uploading the files?

2. When you say "except install/install.php and includes/config.php.new)" does this mean I should just delete these files from these directories? If I understand you correctly here, I won't actually be re-running the install/upgrade scripts... just uploading the files?

I'll re-download the ZIP file from the Members Area in preparation for the new upload.

Thanks Trevor.
                          Michael
                          www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

1. I would close your forum temporarily, yes.

2. Yes, just delete these two files before uploading. Once you've uploaded these, run the Suspect Files check again. Do the same files appear?
                            Vote for:

-

Comment

Hi again.

Well, I've just finished the upload as instructed, I've run the suspect files diagnostic again, and the same files appear; still experiencing the same issue when I log into the Admin CP.

Any other ideas? Do you think it might have something to do with my FTP settings? I'm using Cyperduck (for the Mac) if that makes any difference.
                              Michael
                              www.superchargerhelp.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X