Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speeding up vbulletin question/idea, will this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding up vbulletin question/idea, will this work?

Hello everyone,

I have been having server issues lately, site is growing, 1000 simultaneous users at times. So I've been looking at many things that will maximize efficiency of Vbul.

I was in the middle of editing a template and as always saw an include for an image that is shown dozens of times when a user loads a single page that looks like this "$stylevar[imgdir_statusicon]/"

I know this gets the url from the settings, my question and possible way to speed up Vbul, if I went through templates replacing instances where the template is creating this extra query (if it is) with http://mysite.com/images/theimage.gif, its just one direct hit to the image without anything needed to be done via PHP. Multiply this by dozens and dozens of template images and hundreds of users, does this mean PHP is making server work many times more simply because template is calling for the root url to be displayed many extra times? Does it even matter?

Am I right or wrong about this, or do you think Vbulletin has this covered already. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mmllc; Thu 2 Sep '10, 9:07am.

Nobody even has a thought either way? Does caching eliminate my aforementioned concerns about all these queries to the db being called from template's PHP?

Comment

good idea imo BUT the statusicons do change depending on if there has been new posts and stuff like that. However if you are happy with a static image then go for it.

Comment

Most of that stuff is cached in a pre-compiled state, its not creating any extra queries.

You'd be better off moving as much static content (images, html files, etc) to a CDN.

Comment

Right, agreed. Images which are dynamic can probably not be "messed" with so to speak, but there are just so many calls to get the Forum URL + the file or other sorts of functions that simply post things that we could just have statically, eliminating that 100x over "seems" to be a good idea, templates are made this way because template makers have no idea what your domain is, so its the only way they can call images or other things that are displayed with php functions at all.

Just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            Most of that stuff is cached in a pre-compiled state, its not creating any extra queries.

You'd be better off moving as much static content (images, html files, etc) to a CDN.
            That's what I kind of figured.

What exactly is a CDN? Dedicated Network? Completely Different Network? hehe, im guessing....

Comment

Content delivery network. Where files are stored on and served from different servers that are globally positioned for the fastest delivery.
              sigpic
              Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

Some more info here:
                How to configure vb and server to use MaxCDN for vbulletin static files?
                I buy 420 forums

Comment

Hey guys,

You know what, I decided to try this MaxCDN out, and so far it really does work well. It used to take 15 seconds to load most pages, now thats down to about 6 seconds!!

Comment

While thats an improvement, that still doesnt sound attractive. But that can be related to your setup.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X