Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Character Search

Hey guys, can someone just confirm...

To do a 3 character search, you have to have access to the PHP config files on your server or use a 3rd party app. If the latter, which 3rd party app works well?

I need a great search feature pretty quick.

Appreciate -

To allow searching for three letter search terms, you need to edit the my.cnf file on the server and add the ft_min_word_len setting.

Then, re-index your site via AdminCP > Maintenance > Rebuild Counters
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Trevor, I wonder if there is something else needed too?

We've seen that vb.com, according to digital point, does have the 3 char setting in their .cnf file, yet the 3 char search only works on vb.com for very, very few 3 chars.....

as far as I know, it only works here for FAQ, PHP and one or two others.......

edit to add: RSS works too.

Comment

We've seen that vb.com, according to digital point, does have the 3 char setting in their .cnf file, yet the 3 char search only works on vb.com for very, very few 3 chars.....

as far as I know, it only works here for FAQ, PHP and one or two others.......

edit to add: RSS works too.
        Can this be verified guys? Staff or not. I'm dealing with stock market symbols.

Comment

vB4 uses MySQL fulltext search and this has a 4 character minimum word length by default. This can only be changed on the server level. There are also a number of 'stopwords' that are considered common and not indexed.

Here are the instructions for changing the default 4 character minimum in MySQL's full text search indexing:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...57&postcount=7

Here's the list of MySQL stopwords that will not be indexed:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...stopwords.html
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

After editing my.cnf, you need to restart your MySQL server. Next you need to delete the fulltext indexes in your database and recreate them for the changes to take affect.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

vB4 uses MySQL fulltext search and this has a 4 character minimum word length by default. This can only be changed on the server level. There are also a number of 'stopwords' that are considered common and not indexed.
              This applies to vB3.85 as well no? There's a good chance I am going to get you guys to upgrade to the Suite anyway.

Thanks Trevor, Steve and Wayne.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X