Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Username of deleted user still shows in thread starters

Hello,

Recently I deleted a user's profile, and the posts, but kept the threads the user had started.

Now the threads show up with the username and then "Guest" below it. I realise I need to remove the username manually from the posts in the database, since the user profile is gone, so how do I go about doing that?

Here is how it looks like now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dGuest.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	3717721
    Last edited by chran; Sat 8 May '10, 10:09pm. Reason: added image

Have you tried resetting your counters?
    vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

Yes I have, the first thing I did after deleting the posts.

Comment

It is normal behaviour that the usernames stays as-is.

Now that you've already deleted the user there is no supported way to change it, you'd have to change it directly in the database.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
          It is normal behaviour that the usernames stays as-is.

Now that you've already deleted the user there is no supported way to change it, you'd have to change it directly in the database.
          Yes, I already mentioned that in my OP, but thanks. What I need are the specific MySQL-commands to delete that username.

Comment

UPDATE thread SET postusername = 'X' WHERE threadid = Y;
            UPDATE post SET username = 'X' WHERE postid = Y;

*** No guarantees ***

Comment

Yes, that's what I need, thank you.

But I don't know the full structure of the thread and post tables, so I don't know what information is there and what I can break by only deleting/changing it in one place (if it is only in one place). But that is certainly a step in the right direction.

edit: I will of course take a full backup before messing around with the database

Comment

Are you trying to delete those posts that appear under guests usernames or do you want to reassign them to another user?

Comment

I don't want to delete anything, I just want to change the username displayed to "Deleted user" or something. At the moment I'm using a replacement variable for that, but that's a very ugly way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by chran View Post
                    I don't want to delete anything, I just want to change the username displayed to "Deleted user" or something. At the moment I'm using a replacement variable for that, but that's a very ugly way to do it.
                    Do you want to assign those posts to another user? If so have a look at my mod. Remove the version from the depency at the xml file and give it a go. It should work on a 3x forum as well.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=236861

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
                      Do you want to assign those posts to another user?
                      No?

Comment

No?
                        Are you not sure? (because you say no? in a question way).

Can you please be a bit more specific as to what you mean? Those posts and threads remained from the deleted users, to whom do you want to reassign them?

Comment

I put a question mark because I thought I was being specific, but I guess not.

A user wanted to be deleted. I deleted her posts, but left the threads she started. I then deleted the user, but the threads she started still show up with her username on them. I want that username changed. I don't want the posts re-assigned to a new user.

Comment

I put a question mark because I thought I was being specific, but I guess not.

A user wanted to be deleted. I deleted her posts, but left the threads she started. I then deleted the user, but the threads she started still show up with her username on them. I want that username changed. I don't want the posts re-assigned to a new user.
                            Ah, I see. Sorry for the confusion and the misunderstanding. In that case try Andreas ''s suggestion above. It should work. Don''t forget though then after running the queries, to go to: Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Update Counters and run the Rebuild Thread Information, Rebuild Forum Information, Update User Names, Update Post Counts.

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
                              Ah, I see. Sorry for the confusion and the misunderstanding.
                              That's ok

See my reply to Andreas for why I haven't done that yet.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X