Accessing user's PM's for spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing user's PM's for spam

One of the users on my forum is reporting spam PM's. How do I open up the contents of their PM's to view what sort of messages they are receiving. Or better yet, how can I prevent it?

There are no default methods included within the software to view other user's PMs. You could do it through the database, but that's a pain. There are a few mods on vb.org that allow you to do this, tho.

As for preventing spam, what I do is this. New members are assigned to the the "New User" group, as usual. However, I've limited their ability to do anything via PMs, signature blocks, visitor messages in profiles, etc. until they make "X" amount of posts (that number is known to me and me only). Once they hit the magic number, they're automatically promoted to the "Full Member" usergroup with full privileges. Spammers normally don't hang around long enough to make the required amount of posts without tipping their hat.
    I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

Really, I would have thought this sophisticated piece of kit would at least include this feature.

I have a similar set-up but I configured it mainly for posting on the forum itself. May be I will have to optimize it for PM's too.

Comment

PMs are a touchy issue with many members. I've made it very plain I have the ability to read any PM, and will investigate any allegation of spam or harassment made via the PM system. Since I've installed the ability to read 'em, I've never had one single complaint so the tool has collected dust over the years.

Comment

What mod are you using?

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91369

Comment

If they are reporting spam PM's, tell them to click the report pm button. Make sure you ban the bot or user on sight.
              I suggest Cyb's Advanced Permissions hack to stop users PM'ing under specified postcounts.
              That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

There's absolutely no need for a modification to limit PMs when you're able to do so without installing one.

Comment

I'm going to be implementing a post count restriction to begin with and see what happens. Only one user has reported it. It might going on with others, but no one else has come forward about this.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X