Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does member hack into another member's profile and make unauthorized changes ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How does member hack into another member's profile and make unauthorized changes ?

    Got a nut case on my forum that is angry with a few other members and somehow making changes in these other member's profiles. (like adding an embarassing photo) How is he able to do this and how can I stop it ?

  • #2
    Originally posted by D. Thomas View Post
    Got a nut case on my forum that is angry with a few other members and somehow making changes in these other member's profiles. (like adding an embarassing photo) How is he able to do this and how can I stop it ?
    It could be a number of things like he can get their login info directly from their pc with a help of a malicious program that he has installed in their pc without their knowledge. Or it could be that you are using an outdated version and he has come across an exploit that it allows him to do that. But check your logs as it might give you a clue of how he does that.

    P.s. Have you banned that user that does that?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by borbole View Post
      It could be a number of things like he can get their login info directly from their pc with a help of a malicious program that he has installed in their pc without their knowledge. Or it could be that you are using an outdated version and he has come across an exploit that it allows him to do that. But check your logs as it might give you a clue of how he does that.

      P.s. Have you banned that user that does that?
      Using VB version 3.8.2 Can you explain how someone can install a malicious program on another persons PC (if answer too complex, alternatively, perhaps point me to where I can read more about this ?)

      I have not yet banned his current personna, but have banned his two previous personnas....which brings up another question... I just assumed that when one member name is banned the IP address associated with that name is automatically banned as well....is that not the case ? And if not, how do I ban specific IP addresses ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by D. Thomas View Post
        Using VB version 3.8.2 Can you explain how someone can install a malicious program on another persons PC (if answer too complex, alternatively, perhaps point me to where I can read more about this ?)

        I have not yet banned his current personna, but have banned his two previous personnas....which brings up another question... I just assumed that when one member name is banned the IP address associated with that name is automatically banned as well....is that not the case ? And if not, how do I ban specific IP addresses ?
        Someone can install a malicious program on another persons PC for ex by sending that person an email with an attachment containg the malicous program which it will allow them remote access to the infected pc.

        Yes, you can ban a person via username and all his ip''s. But I think that is pointless as that person can register another account using proxies. And that is the reason that I have coded a mod that it will try to prevent that but I don''t know if it compatible with your version.

        http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=235638

        Also, a suggestion if I may, upgrade your forum to the latest version, be that of your serie or another one. It is always best, security wise, to keep up to dated with the latest versions, for all the softwares you run into your server space.

        Comment

        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X