No announcement yet.

Admin account (userid:1) can't log in & admin accounts can't log into admincp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin account (userid:1) can't log in & admin accounts can't log into admincp

I tried to log in with my user (userid:1, set as the super admin in the config file) today, and I just got re-directed to the index.php file again without being logged in.

I then took a look in phpmyadmin at my user (userid:1), and instead of it saying userid 1, it said 0! I then altered it to be 1 again, and then I could log into the forums, but not the admincp (I try to login in admincp, but just get re-directed to the login page under admincp again).

Also,

usergroupid is set to 20, membergroupids 21 and displaygroupid to 20.

I asked my hosting company if they did anything lately on the servers, but they haven't.

I've also tried to use the tools.php file, and reset the cookie path and domain to the default. The config.php file cookieprefix is set to 'bb', and I tried to change it to 'bp' to see if that made any difference.

I haven't installed anything new lately, nor altered any files lately. Just all of a sudden I couldn't log in any more. Other users can log in it seems, but none of the admin accounts I've set up can log into the admincp.

For now I guess I'll just edit the ids in phpmyadmin on my user accound (userid:1)...

Any idea on what could have altered my userid to 0, making me unable to log in, and what could have altered all of my admin accounts to random usergroupids?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Looks like all of my admin accounts have shifted usergroupid's :S Mine (userid 1) is set to a regular user by the looks if it, and another is set to moderator...

Edit2: I tried to change one account to the usergroup to admin (usergroupid, 6), just to test, and then I could log into the admincp, but almost all of the menu is gone (on the left side), just a handful are there. And only 2 of the default vbulletin menu (others are plugins).
    Last edited by Julieh; Fri 19th Mar '10, 11:42am.

Maybe a botched hacked attack? Ask your host to check their logs for any evidence pointing that way.

Can you try to run the following queries at phpmyadmin?

Code:
    UPDATE user SET userid = 1 WHERE username = 'yourusername';

UPDATE user SET usergroupid = 6 WHERE username = 'yourusername';
    Replace yourusername with your actual username and if your db tables have a prefix, then include it in the queries. And see if that would help.

Comment

You may 'promote' a user to the admin group via the tools.php page. Try that. (I'd also look in your access_logs for any suspicious activity since something like this doesn't just randomly happen.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
        Maybe a botched hacked attack? Ask your host to check their logs for any evidence pointing that way.

Can you try to run the following queries at phpmyadmin?

Code:
        UPDATE user SET userid = 1 WHERE username = 'yourusername';

UPDATE user SET usergroupid = 6 WHERE username = 'yourusername';
        Replace yourusername with your actual username and if your db tables have a prefix, then include it in the queries. And see if that would help.
        I edited a test admin account to usergroupid 6 (it had a correct userid, just not the usergroupid), and that worked, making me able to log in, but almost all of the menu is gone (on the left side), just a handful are there. And only 2 of the default vbulletin menu (others are plugins).

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
        You may 'promote' a user to the admin group via the tools.php page. Try that. (I'd also look in your access_logs for any suspicious activity since something like this doesn't just randomly happen.)
        access_logs? Is that in the database? I have a table called access, but it's empty.

Comment

Open up the config.php file and where it says:

PHP Code:
          $config['SpecialUsers']['superadministrators'] = ''
          Enter there your uid.

Regarding the access logs, ask your host about it.

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
            Open up the config.php file and where it says:

PHP Code:
            $config['SpecialUsers']['superadministrators'] = ''
            Enter there your uid.
            Ah, of course, silly me! I forgot that only the super admin had access to all the menu points... Thanks.

Regarding the access logs, ask your host about it.
            Will do!

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

You are welcome. Glad to have been of help

Comment

Is this procedure the same in VB4? I had my session timeout set at 3600(just playing around), reset it to 1800, and now I cant login to admin cp - just keeps redirecting me to login again. I searched for tools.php - where do I find it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill_Reilly View Post
                  I searched for tools.php - where do I find it?
                  In your "do_not_upload" folder when you download a fresh copy of vBulletin from http://members.vbulletin.com
                  To be updated...

Comment

Yep, I found it - didnt help though. Cookies set right, I reset the admin user, but its the same - I can login to the forum, but the admincp just gives me a thanks for logging in, and then pops up the login again. The only thing I changed was session timeout - from 3600 down to 1800 - which of course is much higher than the default, so I'm lost.

Comment

Last update - I reset the admin to another account I had and it works fine. Any ideas why the login would stop working on the other name?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill_Reilly View Post
                        Last update - I reset the admin to another account I had and it works fine. Any ideas why the login would stop working on the other name?
                        I've never had that happen to me and cannot think of why it should happen in the first place.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X