Why all the spam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why all the spam?

I used a different forum for years and no spam or problem with spammers - I switch to vb and I'm constantly hit with spam...what's in this code that spammers are easily finding the forum almost as if they come from vb themselves?

Google indexes it quickly and there are some page names that make them easy to find.

Add to the mix the people who are "paid to post", well, they like vB because it's nice and easy to use. Then you have the bots like xrumer that are programmed for the main forum types. They jump from IP to IP so they can be a pig to get rid of.

Make sure you have your Akismet key activated and moderate well. They go away when they realise they can't get traction.
    Simple SEO

Comment

I use questions and answers that relate to the theme of my site, so for example if you have a car site a question could be " if you have a '57 Chevy, what year, in number form, using the whole years date that it was made?" answer can be 1957. Something on those lines.

I dont moderate till they spam and the only spam i get is rare and are people.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I'll see if I can figure out the question idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzyname View Post
          I use questions and answers that relate to the theme of my site, so for example if you have a car site a question could be " if you have a '57 Chevy, what year, in number form, using the whole years date that it was made?" answer can be 1957. Something on those lines.

I dont moderate till they spam and the only spam i get is rare and are people.
          This is one of the best ways to do it - that and reCAPTCHA. Also look into Advanced Registration Management to delete users who do not validate within 24 hours, and notify them that they MUST validate within 24 hours. This can wipe out spam bots quickly some are set to register and wait a certain amount of time before dropping spam posts. Ban mail.ru and other unusual/anonymous sites most of these are haven for spam.

Comment

What about renaming 'register.php' to something else? How many changes would be involved, and what effect would that have on the bots?
            My VB forum: BMWRA

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X