Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I stop spammers in my paid forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stop spammers in my paid forum?

I have a forum that anyone can register for, but you must pay before you are given access. Every day I have dozens of spammers sign up, but of course, they have no access without payment. It is quite tedious to remove all these by hand. Is there a better way? Is there a program or add-on to deal with this?

I searched the forum and found one add-on that seemed like it might work, but I couldn't get it to install correctly. I'm by no means a computer programmer, so maybe thats the problem! Any help would be appreciated.

To stop them registering, have you considered implementing the Human Verification Options in AdminCP > vBulletin Options > Human Verification Manager?

To delete those who've already registered, try using the Prune/Move Users option in AdminCP > Users. They'll all have less than 1 post so you should be able to weed them out ok...
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

You will find that most of them use the same email address company, like @mail.ru, @yahoo.com.cn etc, you can add these into the User Banning Options, that saved lots of these coming through for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
        To stop them registering, have you considered implementing the Human Verification Options in AdminCP > vBulletin Options > Human Verification Manager?

To delete those who've already registered, try using the Prune/Move Users option in AdminCP > Users. They'll all have less than 1 post so you should be able to weed them out ok...
        Thanks for the reply. I took off the Human Verification Option because several of my members were having difficulty entering the letters correctly. I have added it back on though do so if it cuts down on the spam because I'm getting alot. I also do use the Prune/Move Users option to delete them all at one time, but I get tired of doing it every day.

Per Cainess' suggestion, I'm going to add some of the email address companies into the User Banning Option also.

Comment

I personally use the Q&A "Questions and Answers' that seem to work best for me.

I use Q&A that relate to my sites themes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzyname View Post

Thank you! I will try that as well.

Comment

This is absolutely the best method - it stopped spammers in their tracks on my site. Ask a question that only people interested in your forums topic are likely to know.

Eg if it's a knitting site....."What size needles are best for knitting socks" or something similarly oblique..
              "Live in England and subject yourself to the punishing taxes of envy. It's hard to be a winner in a society dedicated to the glorification of losers."

Comment

Originally posted by gpzzone View Post
                This is absolutely the best method - it stopped spammers in their tracks on my site. Ask a question that only people interested in your forums topic are likely to know.

Eg if it's a knitting site....."What size needles are best for knitting socks" or something similarly oblique..
                Using the Q&A method really seems to work great. I have had no spammers since I implemented it. Thanks so much for the help Jazzyname & gpzzone!

Comment

Happy to hear its working great for you too.

Comment

We do the same, PLUS all new member registrations on place in a queue so that an admin manually reviews the questions and answers before approving the account. At one point we were worried that there would be too many in queue, but the reality is that it has been manageable resulting in over 40,000 members in recent years. By employing these tactics, we have one of the most respectful forums in the world with no flamers or spammers.

DAVID COPELAND
                    Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
                    Celebrating 19 Years with VB

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X