Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Login Issues from many users vB 3.8.4

Running vB 3.8.4

I have a forum 1.5 million posts and 53,000 users. We were one of those forums that had a dreaded "Kontera Issue" a few months ago. Kontera owned the issue and acknowledged it. Once Kontera fixed it the issue, we were fine.

Recently, we've been having some more login issues. Now, of course, I contacted Kontera right away to ask them but they told me they didn't know of any further issues at the moment. It's not happening to all users, but a select few.

We have made no changed to any files or DB stuff in over a year, what could go suddenly so wrong with user login issues? Can I get some help here? Is there some sort of maintenance that I can do to help this?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Kihon Kata; Sun 14th Feb '10, 6:12am.
    Makeup Cosmetics Beauty Forums
    1.5 million posts!

Have you had the users clear their cookies for your site and then relogin? Is it only users using browser xx ? Can you find any commonality between the users that can't stay logged in?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Yes, some of the users have told us that they have cleared cookies, etc and with FF and IE also.
      Originally posted by Lynne View Post
      Have you had the users clear their cookies for your site and then relogin? Is it only users using browser xx ? Can you find any commonality between the users that can't stay logged in?
      1.5 million posts!

Comment

Did you recently upgrade to PL2? I know I have seen some threads regarding users having a login issue with PL2 - you might want to search them out. Can users browse the site using both www.yoursite.com and yoursite.com? what do you have the cookie domain set to?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

No, we are running just 3.8.4. and not any PLs as of yet. We have been running 3.8.4. since the day it came out with no issues (other than the Kontera issue).

When I typed in http://makeuptalk.com it forwarded to http://www.makeuptalk.com. It's on a dedicated server. Our cookie domain is set to .makeuptalk

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
          Did you recently upgrade to PL2? I know I have seen some threads regarding users having a login issue with PL2 - you might want to search them out. Can users browse the site using both www.yoursite.com and yoursite.com? what do you have the cookie domain set to?
          1.5 million posts!

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't think of what the problem is. You have your urls redirecting to www and you have your cookie domain set up fine (although I think you could leave it blank). You may want to put in a support ticket for this.

Comment

I'm having this same problem

My forum with 2.5 million posts and 40,000 members started having this issue the day I upgraded to 3.8.4 PL2. The number of complaints about this has steadily risen and I'm seeing it being more than the usual member with corrupted cookies.

Any solutions out there?

Comment

Originally posted by creativepart View Post
                My forum with 2.5 million posts and 40,000 members started having this issue the day I upgraded to 3.8.4 PL2. The number of complaints about this has steadily risen and I'm seeing it being more than the usual member with corrupted cookies.

Any solutions out there?
                If your cookies are set correctly and nothing else has changed, then you should put in a support ticket.

Comment

I ended up using the tools.php file that's found in the do not upload folder for vb. I reset the cookie path and domain. So far crossing fingers

Originally posted by creativepart View Post

Any solutions out there?
                  1.5 million posts!

Comment

Let us know if that does the trick, Kihon Kata. I didn't think of that option for some reason.

Comment

Ok, so I'm back with this issue bigger than ever. Today, I logged out myself and viola, I'm not locked out of my own forum as the admin. There seems to be major cookie issues here. After reading many threads on here like this one, what is the answer to this issue? I'm not finding the answer here.
                      1.5 million posts!

Comment

Something went wrong with cookies with the 3.8.4 version, we have suffered various log in issues ever since, there are numerous threads but none resolve the issue. I changed the cookie prefix and this solved the problem for most. BUT we still have log in problems

Comment

I've discovered that if I disable my Kontera ads, that all login/password issues go away.

Seems as if Kontera, on my site at least, is the culprit and NOT vB at this point.

I've emailed my Kontera rep, let's see what he says.
                          1.5 million posts!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X