Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone tell me: What good are "friends"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone tell me: What good are "friends"?

There's the ability in vBulletin to define someone as a "friend." So what? What can you do with those friends? Is there a setting somehwere that allows you to see your friends' posts? Can you send messages to your friends? Can you communicate with them through the software in some unique way?

What am I missing? I don't see a way to do any of these things with friends and, therefore, they seem useless. I hope I'm wrong because I'm trying to figure out a way that users can leverage the people they've taken the trouble to define as friends.
    PhotoCamel | PoetryCircle | KissMyCamel

Here's the only documentation I've found on "friends":

What is the difference between a friend and a contact?
    A friendship is a mutual, two-way relationship between two users. It is initiated by one user and accepted by the other.
    A contact is a one-way friendship. This could be where the other person does not accept the friendship, a friendship request is pending, or you do not wish to be friends at this time but want to show them as a contact only.
    Where is list of friends and contacts displayed?
    Your friends and contacts are displayed on the 'Contacts and Friends' page in your User CP. Your friends are also displayed in your profile page.
    How can I request a friend, accept a friend or break a friendship?
    There are two ways to request a friendship with someone.
    The easiest way is to view the profile page of the person you want to become friends with and click the 'Befriend' link.
    The other way is to add the person to your contacts first. Then from your 'Contacts and Friends' page ask to be their friend by checking the box next to their name labelled 'Friend'. Next, save the page.
    If you know the username of the person you want to be friends with you can send a friend request using the box provided and clicking 'Add Friend'.
    To accept a friend, go to your 'Contacts and Friends' page. At the bottom of the page you will see a list of pending requests. Check the box for the requests you wish to accept then check the 'Accept' button and save the changes. If you do not wish to be friends then select 'Reject' instead.

Breaking a friendship can be done in three ways.
    • From your 'Contacts and Friends' page, uncheck the box for friend for the particular person and save the changes. If you no longer wish them to be a contact either, uncheck both boxes for that person.
    • In your 'Profile Page', click 'Friends' and then click 'Break Friendship' next to the user's name.
    • In the other person's profile, click 'Friends' then find your username and click 'Break Friendship'.
    After reading this, I'm still asking, "yeah, okay, so what?" Who cares about how to define a friend or "end" a friendship if there's nothing special you can do with the friends feature? Is this totally a vanity thing?
    It would seem to me that the recent "social" features of vB are implemented in the most superficial way possible.
    PhotoCamel | PoetryCircle | KissMyCamel

Comment

the ONLY use of friends is that there's a setting to allow visitor comments only from friends instead of everyone.
      apart from this, it's only a show off. and a pain for site admin (as everyday he has to accept 10 reqs).

Comment

Ressurecting this old thread. So, how does one turn this feature off? is it an edit the templates thing, or is there a switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
          AdminCP > vBulletin Options > User Profile Options

Uncheck 'Friends' there
          I know this is an old thread, but since it turns up on google when searching for how to disable the "Friends" feature of vBulletin, and the above mentioned option also seems to be removed from vBulletin 5, many people would still most likely appreciate to see the answer to the same question for vBulletin 5 here:

How does one disable the "Friends" feature completely for vBulletin 5?

PS.
          The reason for wanting to remove it is that it (as discussed above) has more or less no value, and only confuses my users, especially in the vBulletin 5 Mobile Suite mobile app (where my hope is to be able to remove this "Friends" functionality completely from the menu of the app if I can just disable it globally somehow).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X