Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Engine Permission Problem!!

Hi there

Today, I restricted the permission of some forums just for the users, i.e Unregistered users have no longer enough permission to see the content of those forums, at first I thought the search engine spiders are still allowed to index the mentioned forums but when I checked out the who's online page, I found out the bots are getting "No Permission" message!! I restricted the permission of this group only "Unregistered / Not Logged In" but it seems bots are considered among this group by vB. so what should I do to solve it?

Thanks in advance

spiders are treated just like guest, so if a guest can't see it, then the bots can't either.
    If you made it so guest couldn't see something but bots could, it's called cloaking and you'll most likely get banned by the search engines for this.
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Thanks Loco.M
      Do you recommend any solution for this issue?
      But I remember phpBB can distinguish the bots from the guests, and if I'm not mistaken, we could even designate different permission for the guest and bots as well, nevertheless Google liked me very much!!! LOL
      Any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Meola View Post
        Thanks Loco.M
        Do you recommend any solution for this issue?
        The only solution is let your guest see the content you want the bots to see
        This is good practice for SEO in general as well

Comment

Now I checked again, in phpBB you can specify different permission for the guest and bots, how they do that and never be banned?

Comment

Originally posted by Meola View Post
            Now I checked again, in phpBB you can specify different permission for the guest and bots, how they do that and never be banned?
            you would have to ask at phpbb

http://www.google.com/support/websit...n&answer=72507

Cloaking is the practice of presenting a version of a web page to search engines that is different from the version presented to users

Comment

Thanks for the help Loco.M, I know what you mean, but I think this rule is for another purpose, requesting the guests to register is totally different from presenting different content, but yes you are right, practically spiders are not smart enough to distinguish between these two!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X