Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

admin area search on name to find and delete spammers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taylorpiano
    replied
    oh, didnt realize that was how it worked. I found about 15 users that I just set them as registered. So it allowed me to search again and prune all who registered before Oct 1st
    Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    If they've changed email address, they may have gone back into the verification queue until they've confirmed it.

Leave a comment:

• taylorpiano
    replied
    thanks, I'll give it a try. We haven't had anyone sign up since Oct 31st since the site went down Nov 1st right before we purchased it. So that should make it a little easier.

Hmm, just did a user search for all "Users awaiting email verification". Most list 0 posts but out of the 630 or so that were found, I checked the first 2 pages and looked ad ones that had posts.
    Some of them are indeed still spammers, but one of them is a current user that has been posting for a couple years now. Why would the system allow them to post pictures and forum msgs yet they never officially verified their email address?

There is a group named "0000", is that some type of default that would have been there when vBulletin was first installed in 2003? Or maybe it was created by the former owner.
    As far as I can tell, there are no users associated with it.

Thanks again... stars for you ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    You could use the 'prune' option to delete all users in that group with a post count of less than 1 who haven't logged on for more than x days. This will cut most if not all out and protect any new signups from the past x days.

Leave a comment:

• taylorpiano
    replied
    Hi, none of them have posted, I just double checked and I must have done a search on all rather than just registered. So these are all spammers that never verified and are in the category "Users awaiting email verification"

I'd like to delete them

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    I assume that these users have posts or have they not managed to post? Are they all in the registered usergroup or in another?

Leave a comment:

• admin area search on name to find and delete spammers.

Not sure if my title is the best to help others find my problem, but here goes.
    We recently purchased a website that has been running since June 2003 on vBulletin.
    When we bought the website, we purchased our own vBulletin license and did the numerous upgrades to finally reach v3.8 and anxiously awaitin vB4
    I was hoping that v3.8 had this option that v 2.xx did not.
    I'm cleaning the user list and have come to find that probably 95% of the spammers that somehow the previous owner let through, all have "google" in the name field.

I can do a find all and came up with 462 users I need to delete via the admin front end.
    But there is no way to mass delete these users. I can do it one at a time by using the pull down edit menu on the far right that seems to be a new option from what I was used to in v2.x, but then I have to go back and redo my name search on "google" all over again.
    I'm certainly not going to do this 462 times.

What I was hoping was the newer versions, or maybe even vb4? has an option with check boxes that you can choose a list of users to delete after you created a filter to locate them.

The mass prune section doesn't give me the option to search on name "google", only user name and a few other fields.

How can we go about deleting all these users before we send out a mass mailer of the new owners and updated website?

Thanks,
    Ruth and Steve Taylor
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X