Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guests without attachment permissions: options other than broken image icon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guests without attachment permissions: options other than broken image icon?

[EDIT: just to clarify, this question isn't about the attachment icon that normally appears beneath posts - it's about attachments which are then added inline using the img button.]

---

Guests viewing threads without permission to see attachments get a "broken image" icon in IE, and see nothing in Firefox when the forum user has posted an attached image inline in their post.

Is there an option to show some other default image to these guests? EG. an image encouraging them to register would be great.

I searched, but didn't have any luck turning up any other threads on this topic.

thanks
    Darin
    Last edited by vbem2; Wed 25 Nov '09, 8:38am.

They should see the attachment icon with the file name there and clicking on it takes them the 'no permissions/login' page.

Check the file path on the broken image and make sure that the image is actually present on your server.
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Thanks for the reply.... but...

The attachment icon appears as it should, at the bottom of the post. Clicking it also does as it should - results in the 'no permissions/login' page.

The specific issue I'm wondering about is when a member then grabs the URL of an attachment and adds it as a full size image within the body of the post. That's when the not-logged-in guest sees the broken image icon (IE) or a missing image (Firefox). For a file which is present on the server - if you're logged in.

EG: see this post. It has one image attached, then its URL was copied and added inline in the post using the "insert image" button:
      http://ecomodder.com/forum/140446-post81.html
      The inline image is below the 3rd (last) paragraph.

Quite a lot of attachments are posted this way by members. I'm just wondering if there's a more graceful/potentially useful "failure" method than what happens now.
      Last edited by vbem2; Sun 22 Nov '09, 4:47am.

Comment

bump

Nobody has any other thoughts on this?

Should I head to vbulletin.org to see if someone has created a mod to deal with this issue?

Comment

I think you'll be better over at vb.org as this really needs some custom coding to prevent this.
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

OK. Thanks Trevster.

Comment