Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SERIOUS PROBLEM: Activation link for new registrants not working. Any clues, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SERIOUS PROBLEM: Activation link for new registrants not working. Any clues, anyone?

The problem is the same as here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...nk-not-working

But the cause of the problem is not the same.

My forum URL is correctly entered on the Site Name / URL / Contact Details vbulletin options page.

It's a serious problem. And I could use some expert help here.

TIA

Create a new style with no parent:
    • Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Add New Style
    • Parent Style: No Parent Style
    • Title: Default vBulletin
    • Allow User Selection: Yes
    • Save

Then browse the site using that totally default vbulletin style - do you still have the same problem?

If it is still happening - Try disabling your modifications/plugins and see if you still have this problem.
    Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

PHP Code:
    define('DISABLE_HOOKS'true); 
    Don't forget that for vbseo, disabling the modification means to also get rid of anything extra you added to your htaccess file.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
      Then browse the site using that totally default vbulletin style - do you still have the same problem?
      I don't have a problem browsing the site at all. Not sure what the style has to do with it. I don't know, but it sounds like a database problem to me that should be independent of the style being used.

I'm getting this error when I click on the activation link:
      Not Found

The requested URL /register.php was not found on this server.
      Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
      Sounds like a server related problem to me, no?

Comment

Is the link actually correct in the email?
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
          Is the link actually correct in the email?
          Good question. Not sure.

Here's the link in the email: "To complete your registration, please visit this URL:
          http://www.mydomainname.com/register.php?a=act&u=9&i=22d571c84d3d670d94980829ff85d1c6fbd7d60f "

I wouldn't be able to tell if that string of characters after the "register.php?" is correct or not. Any way to tell?

Comment

Originally posted by RedHotChili View Post
            Good question. Not sure.

Here's the link in the email: "To complete your registration, please visit this URL:
            http://www.mydomainname.com/register.php?a=act&u=9&i=22d571c84d3d670d94980829ff85d1c6fbd7d60f "
            I wouldn't be able to tell if that string of characters after the "register.php?" is correct or not. Any way to tell?
            It's more the bit prior to register.php that we're concerned with.

You are missing the /forums/ part of that link... not surprising it is throwing a 404 error.

(edit: you have your actual domain in the URL portion of your post, you only overtyped the hyperlinked text).
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

The string of characters is irrelevant if it is giving you a 404. Sounds like it is http://www.mydomainname.com/register.php not being the correct link. Double check it, then triple check it.

Edit: Yeah, what Ace said.

Comment

It's more the bit prior to register.php that we're concerned with.

You are missing the /forums/ part of that link... not surprising it is throwing a 404 error.

(edit: you have your actual domain in the URL portion of your post, you only overtyped the hyperlinked text).
                Alright, Ace. Now we're getting somewhere.

Yes, the "/forums" directory link after the domain name is missing in the emailed link. Good eye.

Now, where can I go to make sure that the "/forums" part is included? I suspect that this problem affects other areas.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe it's in the text of the email. I'll check it and see in the "search phrases".

Comment

Okay, this is what I found in the body of the activation email that gets sent out:

To complete your registration, please visit this URL:
                    $vboptions[bburl]/register.php?a=act&u=$userid&i=$activateid

<a href="$vboptions[bburl]/register.php?a=act&u=$userid&i=$activateid">America Online Users Please Visit Here to be Activated</a>

**** Does The Above URL Not Work? ****
                    If the above URL does not work, please use your Web browser to go to:
                    $vboptions[bburl]/register.php?a=ver
                    Should I manually enter the "/forums" prefix or is this symptomatic of a larger database problem?

I may have done something screwy in the setup initially. Do you guys think the source of the problem is in the database? Besides me being the source, of course.

Comment

First, make sure your bburl is set correctly in vBulletin Options.

It's in the Site Name/URL bit... homeurl is for your base website homepage, bburl is for your forum root, the place that all the vBulletin files live.

Comment

First, make sure your bburl is set correctly in vBulletin Options.

It's in the Site Name/URL bit... homeurl is for your base website homepage, bburl is for your forum root, the place that all the vBulletin files live.
                        Thanks so much, Ace.

I think that's the source of the problem alright. I currently have the same url for both. For the Forum URL and for the Homepage URL.

D'OH!

Comment

Originally posted by RedHotChili View Post
                          Thanks so much, Ace.

I think that's the source of the problem alright. I currently have the same url for both. For the Forum URL and for the Homepage URL.

D'OH!

Awesome, glad to have been of help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X