Limiting Guests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limiting Guests

I had a situation recently where I had 1500 people on simultaneously (my norm is closer to 200), and guests outnumbered registered users about 5 to 1. My board was overwhelmed.

Is there a way to limit the number of guests to a few hundred, without outright barring them? I want guests, but I want my registered users to have first shot.

thanks,

-jk

Most of them will proberly be spiders (google bots, yahoo bots, spam bots) you can try downloading the "limit user viewing" modification over on vbulletin.org, it'll make them unable to view threads and need to register to view threads after a certain amount set by you.

Comment

Did anything bad happen? Honestly why would you want to stop or slow down real users?

Comment

Yes, I agree. Other than if your hosting package can't handle so much traffic?

I'd love that many people online! :P

Comment

The server got way overloaded, and my registered users couldn't get pages just as a story was breaking. I'm having a conf call with my hosting provider this week to try to figure what happened on his end, and how we can prevent it next time. Fortunately, this sort of load is likely to be very rare.

I like guests but I like participating members more. If I have to choose one group or the other, I'll choose members. Obviously, I'd much rather get things worked out so that both groups get the experience they want.

-jk

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X