Installation complete - closing forum whilst sorting out transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation complete - closing forum whilst sorting out transfer

So the ACP is new to me here - how do I close the forum off with a message explaining to the users that I'm sorting things out - basically, I want to shut the forum down until its ready

Reply ASAP! Thanks in advance

^ Okay, I've actually learned how to do that. Now going to attempt the transfer of phpbb >> VBulletin. Any advice?

I need to say a huuuge thank you to those that have already helped me. Without you guys, I'd still be at stage one x

Comment

Originally posted by 04wayne View Post
      ^ Okay, I've actually learned how to do that. Now going to attempt the transfer of phpbb >> VBulletin. Any advice?
      just take your time and read the impex docs at vbulletin.com/docs/
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

So you installed ok I gather?

Wayne, if I can give you a well-meant advide: go exploring a little bit. You won't get happy with the software if you start a new thread here first thing you want to do something. Get comfortable with the software, and risk some trial and error. That's the only way to learn, really.
        And another one: Don't tell people to do something ASAP, that does not go down to well

OK, what you're looking for is in AdminCP->Settings->Options->Turn Your vBulletin On and Off

BTW: A simple search in the manual using keywords "turn off" or "close forum" would have led you to this page:
        http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/vboptions_forumonoff

Edit:
        So you discovered it before I was done posting. Just one more prove to look first before asking

Comment

Am I allowed to swear? lol

Here goes F*CK!!!!! I seem to have lost the back ups of my cPanel - they were stored on my Home Directory, and seem to have disappeared All I have is the back up of my actual forum (posts/posters etc) - which was done through the Administration Control Panel at phpBB so is useless! This basically means I can't transfer my phpbb right?

Comment

Do you have access to a backup of the database? That's all you need. I do not know phpBB, but I should think that a backup done through their Admin Panel would entail the database.

Comment

The file I have is a Zip file and is an sql file - I can remember it containing words like posts, members etc. Does this sound okay?

Comment

Originally posted by 04wayne View Post
                The file I have is a Zip file and is an sql file - I can remember it containing words like posts, members etc. Does this sound okay?
                Yes. The sql file sounds very much okay. This is your database dumb. On second thought: You probably won't even need this. You did not delete the phpBB table in your mysql database, did you? Just leave that untouched and you can point impex to that database for the import. If you need assistance on importing, you should post here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-Import-System

Anyway, I'll have to leave you alone for the time being - it's almost midnight here and I'll be off now Good look, you'll be fine!

Comment

I think I did! LMAO. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Comment

My forum has been restored. And I still have my phpbb database in tack. Before, I was deleting files via my FTP client - is this the right way to do it? Also, could you please tell me exactly what files I dont have to delete in order for me to successfully transfer my phpbb forum later on? Thank you very much in advance
                    Last edited by 04wayne; Mon 2 Nov '09, 6:31pm.

Comment

As I said, importing questions really should go into the impex forum I linked in my last post. But:

1. Make sure you have those backups you did and mentioned in a previous post in a secure place, so they don't get deleted by chance. Use a USB stick for example, in addition to you hard disc.

2. You are safe to delete everything that was part of you old forum via FTP. If your site consisted only of your forum and no other pages, that would probably be everything in your public_html folder. Your database resides somewhere else on the server (maybe even on a completely different server, depending on your host and package).

3. Do not delete your phpBB database, just leave it alone. Since you already created a new database for vB as I understand, there's no database operations that you have to do now. Just leave those database controls alone in CPanel.

4. Make sure you know the database credentials (database name, database server, database username, database password) to access your old phpBB database. You will need those for impex. You'll find those either in a config file of phpBB (I'm sure there is one, too - albeit I never used that software), or you can check those out in CPanel.

Comment

Anyway, thanks for all of your help! I'm having issues with the IMPEX now mind you! Its telling me:

If you have all red tables, i.e. none correct this could possible be your table prefix :

phpbb_
                        Failed Check database permissions and connection, or table prefix to ensure its correct

I've reported this in the IMPEX help forum, but I've noticed that some people haven't received a reply to their queries in days. So any help in here would be a big +!
                        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 3 Nov '09, 5:20am.

Comment

Answered in the other thread.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X