Similar Thread function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similar Thread function?

How does vB determine which threads are added to the bottom of other threads via the Automatic Similar Thread Search function?

Thanks,

Keith

You can read the code used in includes/functions_search.php - the functions fetch_similar_threads is around line 340. The method is different based on whether you are using fulltext search of vbulletin's search engine.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Lynne, I've looked through this code and while most of it makes no sense to me at all, but I'm interested in the piece of it:

// this is an arbitrary number but items less then 4 - 5 seem to be rather unrelated
      if ($thread['score'] > 4)
      If I increase that number, would it make the threads returned as similar be more relevant to the current thread?

Comment

Take a look at this mobo http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=201651

I installed it on my forum, it works very well.

-Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by mobosix View Post
          Lynne, I've looked through this code and while most of it makes no sense to me at all, but I'm interested in the piece of it:

If I increase that number, would it make the threads returned as similar be more relevant to the current thread?
          That relates to this line in the query:
          PHP Code:
          MATCH(thread.titleAGAINST ('$safetitle') AS score 
          I'm not that familiar with that function, so I can't answer your question. I suppose you can play with it on a test site and see what happens.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thanks Lynne

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X