Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways of making a DB backup!!

Dear everyone,

I'm looking for a way to make a backup for my forum database without closing the forum.

I have tried creating backup through the SSH and through the cpanel but both stop the database.

So if you know a way to backup the DB without closing the forum .. please inform me !!

Best regards

What do you mean they 'stop' the database?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I receive a database error !!

like this ...

Comment

You can't get any error like that if you are backing up via telnet or SSH. What are you doing exactly?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have tried through SSH

I use this command ...
          mysqldump -u(Username) -p(User password) (Database name) >xxxxx.sql
          Sometimes I receive such error .. and sometimes the the forum don't open !

Comment

You cannot get the error you posted if you use SSH. What is happening exactly? Please be specific so we can help.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

While I backup the database ... If I try to open the forum .. the page keeps on loading

and you can read in the browser's status bar "Waiting for XXXX.com"

Comment

That is not part of the backup process. Please state exactly what you are doing when making a backup and what happens when you do it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Sir, I use PuTTy to backup my database using the command I mentioned above ..
                  and during the backup process I can't open the forum at all ...

when I open the browser, type the forum directory and then press ENTER
                  the screen stays as it is .. no page opens .. and in the stats bar it shows that
                  it's waiting for the server to load "Waiting for xxxx.com" ..

And after I finish and the backup is created in the root directory .. everything goes back to normal ..!!

Comment

I backup my forum just by the maintanence part of the control panel, isnt that enough??

Comment

You should not be accessing your forums when you are making a backup. In fact you should close the forums while this is happening.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

What I'm saying is that I'm looking for a way to back up my database without the need of closing it and while my members are using the forum !!

Comment

There is no safe way to do that. You should close your forums. Otherwise you will have to live with those issues.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks Steve ... and sorry for interrupting you

Best regards

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X