No announcement yet.

Save my sanity and check my RSS please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save my sanity and check my RSS please?

Hey,

I'm hoping someone could help me obtain a little bit less noobishness in the more NOT out of the box stuff for vB.

I'm trying to create a new RSS feed. The URL for the rss with the news I wish to pull in is here: http://afterworld.ru/rss.xml

That works fine in the browser and an XML validator (view source, and then copy/paste) also couldn't find anything wrong with it, but apparently vB decided there's a mismatched tag on line 5. I googled, but did not really find anything helpful, so I figured I'd give it a shot here.

I tested a few other RSS feeds, and was able to get all of those in, but just not this one. I tried manually looking at the XML, but also was unable to spot anything there.

Could someone please be so kind as to have a peek and see if you can get the feed up and running, please?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Nobody in the know who could offer some advice? It'd be highly and greatly appreciated!

PEter

Comment

You never posted the code for the page, so no one is going to be able to modify it and try to get the feed up and running. (Of course, this site is also not for custom code.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
        You never posted the code for the page, so no one is going to be able to modify it and try to get the feed up and running. (Of course, this site is also not for custom code.)
        Hi,

First of all, sorry for replying with a different name. I just had my two accounts merged into one.

The feed or site it is on is not mine. It's merely something I am trying to pull in through my RSS Feed Manager. I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by posting the code, as the link above is the only entrypoint I have.

I noticed others had a vB official have a peek at the feed, and figure out what was going on, so I figured I'd give it a shot as well.

Thanks.

Peter

Comment

Ah, I thought this was your code and you couldn't get it to feed correctly. If it isn't being pulled in correctly, you'll have to look at the code and see why not - /includes/cron/rssposter.php is the file that pulls the feed, I believe.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
            Ah, I thought this was your code and you couldn't get it to feed correctly. If it isn't being pulled in correctly, you'll have to look at the code and see why not - /includes/cron/rssposter.php is the file that pulls the feed, I believe.
            Thanks. That most likely might allow me to do a bit of manual checking of where things go wrong.

Anything specific I should know on how to setup actual debugging if I never ever before touched php code on a linux hosting environment? (I'm a Microsoft man. Boo me).

Peter

Comment

You don't need to worry about what you are running on your box, it's the php code you need to take a look at for debugging purposes. I always keep my ftp client open to the logs directory so I can check the error_logs when I'm playing with code.

Comment

The plot thickens. I grabbed a copy of the source and uploaded it to my own site. And there it works, no problems.

Is there any way to influence the port number used for the feed from the admincp in the feed manager (I tried using http://www.afterworld.ru:8080/rss.xml, but got a different error that way, so not sure if the port is closed, or whether I did something wrong)? Or is that only available in the database? Are there any risks when changing the port number in the db?

Is there a standard port for rss maybe? I saw 7880 mentioned somewhere, and tried using that in the url, but that also did not yield any results.

Copy/paste of the url with the port number in it also did nothing. I mailed the site in the meantime, but maybe someone here might have some additional ideas? The feed itself seems to be fine enough, considering it parses wonderfully from the copy on my own site.

Any help would be appreciated...

Peter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X