Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Advanced Storage Settings Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Advanced Storage Settings Help!!

Hello,
    I'm looking into changing my advanced storage settings to shared storage and I was wondering where I would go to do this? Thanks

Storage for what?

Comment

The storage of all the sites information i.e. forums...

Comment

Still not clear what you mean. The forum data is stored in the database.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Sorry i'm fairly new to vbulletin and I don't really deal with the MySQL side of things. To be clear, I was told to modify the advanced storage settings to shared storage by vbulletin support in order to increase the load that the site can handle. I don't know how to do this. The problem we're doing this to fix is that we have a lot of forums and this storage setting change would make that possible. I don't know whether we do this through our host or through some option in admin control panel that I over looked. Thanks and sorry again!!

Comment

Probably the datastore cache. Edit the includes/config.php file. Remove the red piece to turn on the advanced datastore storage options. Then change the blue piece to specify which storage option you want to use. To use memcache you need to remove the green pieces and specify the memcache info:

Code:
            	// ****** DATASTORE CACHE CONFIGURATION *****
            	// Here you can configure different methods for caching datastore items.
            	// vB_Datastore_Filecache  - to use includes/datastore/datastore_cache.php
            	// vB_Datastore_APC - to use APC
            	// vB_Datastore_XCache - to use XCache
            	// vB_Datastore_Memcached - to use a Memcache server, more configuration below
            [color=red]//[/color] $config['Datastore']['class'] = '[color=blue]vB_Datastore_Filecache[/color]';

// ******** DATASTORE PREFIX ******
            	// If you are using a PHP Caching system (APC, XCache, eAccelerator) with more
            	// than one set of forums installed on your host, you *may* need to use a prefix
            	// so that they do not try to use the same variable within the cache.
            	// This works in a similar manner to the database table prefix.
            // $config['Datastore']['prefix'] = '';

// It is also necessary to specify the hostname or IP address and the port the server is listening on
            [color=green]/*[/color]
            $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Memcached';
            $i = 0;
            // First Server
            $i++;
            $config['Misc']['memcacheserver'][$i]		= '127.0.0.1';
            $config['Misc']['memcacheport'][$i]			= 11211;
            $config['Misc']['memcachepersistent'][$i]	= true;
            $config['Misc']['memcacheweight'][$i]		= 1;
            $config['Misc']['memcachetimeout'][$i]		= 1;
            $config['Misc']['memcacheretry_interval'][$i] = 15;
            [color=green]*/[/color]

Comment

Thanks so much!!

Comment

Is memchache the default shared memory feature for vbulletin?

Comment

The default is not using any memory caching.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

okay, well is memcache shared memory? If not what is the shared memory command that I should type into the highlighted blue field. Sorry again.

Comment

Yes, it's the same thing.

Comment

I think now I understand what needs to be done to fix the error:
                        Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted....
                        It’s because I have reached the max limit for forums. To fix this error, I need to expand shared cache memory. I need to install Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted memcached on the server to enable it and then change config.php accordingly. My forum is not on a dedicated server.
                        I don’t know where to start,
                        1.Where to install memcached?
                        2.Is this possible to install it on shared server?
                        3.Should I have another server? dedicated or shared
                        4.Would memcached installed for mySQL or PHP?
                        Thanks for your help.

Comment

Your PHP does not have enough memory allocated to it to complete this operation. Ask your host to increase the 'memory_limit' variable in php.ini to at least 64M.

To temporarily up your limits edit your includes/config.php file and add these lines right under the <?php line:

ini_set('memory_limit', 64 * 1024 * 1024);

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by TheWatcher View Post
                            I think now I understand what needs to be done to fix the error:
                            Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted....
                            It’s because I have reached the max limit for forums. To fix this error, I need to expand shared cache memory. I need to install Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted memcached on the server to enable it and then change config.php accordingly. My forum is not on a dedicated server.
                            I don’t know where to start,
                            1.Where to install memcached?
                            2.Is this possible to install it on shared server?
                            3.Should I have another server? dedicated or shared
                            4.Would memcached installed for mySQL or PHP?
                            Thanks for your help.
                            I may be cause by the settings you've recently (above) changed, still being on a dedicated server or not, your host would be able to solve that. (they did for me anyway)

Send them the error, and ask them to set things a tad higher.
                            www.letsgather.com - Message boards, profiles, movies, music, and blogs.
                            www.paganfolk.net - Green is the new black.
                            www.die16-clan.com - Covering Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal Tournament 3.

Comment