Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need advice on how to implement video game reviews...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice on how to implement video game reviews...

So, I think my website's roots are almost planted firmly. Just a few more things to brush up on before it can explode.

I need some advice from you guys. Basically, my site is running off the vBulletin engine. I have the vBulletin license and the blog license. My site is about reviewing video games, and general video game discussion. However, I do not believe I have a very good system going for submitting reviews.

What I have now is a reviews subforum. Sort of like this:
    General
    -New Members, Contests, Site News, etc

Reviews
    -Game Reviews
    -Hardware Reviews

Industry News
    -Software News
    -Hardware News
    -Other Industry News

Off-Topic
    -OT Discussion

That's not the exact wording of my subforums, but you get the idea. So, as you can imagine, someone just posts a review in the Game Reviews section. The only way for someone to find what they want is to use the search function. So, I made it a rule that reviews must have their titles like this: [SYSTEM] - Title of Review

System would be PS3, Wii, 360, etc... Title of the review MUST include the game's title somewhere.

Even if I had separate boards for each system, it would still mean you have to use the search function to find a particular game.

Is there a better way to do this? Something a little more organized? What suggestions do you guys have?

(gamingitis.com)

You could further partition the reviews by creating forums for each game system. Then you could change the forums to sort by title for easier browsing (by game title):

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Default Sort Field

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
      You could further partition the reviews by creating forums for each game system. Then you could change the forums to sort by title for easier browsing (by game title):

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Default Sort Field
      Ooooh.. That's interesting. Good idea. I'll mess around with that. Thanks

Comment

Replied to you on VB.org regarding this, incase you missed it.

Yeah there is a better way.

goto

http://www.giologist.com/

Look for extra thread fields, its a paid for addon.

We use it extensively in our events and news sections.

Seen here in action.

http://www.yobromofo.com/forum/news/...gle-earth.html

This link, when new thread is being created, allows us to add a drop down selection box for the new poster, you pre propogate this with your choices.

To go even further, we use a modified version, but basically the same...

Seen here:

http://www.yobromofo.com/forum/meetu...tml#post149401

where we can add multiple fields.

Would work great for you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X