Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to set a subforum to require a password for guests, but not registered users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steven s
    replied
    Originally posted by Shane. View Post
    Carrie, thx for the reply, but it doesn't really address my problem fully. I understand how to pw a forum/sub-forum. What I want is for the password to apply to guests, but not to registered users, just as it doesn't apply to >= moderators.
    Passwords are forum specific as you know. You need them to be usergroup specific which it isn't.

So you want only specific guests to be able to read posts, not necessarily post?
    I wonder if you just create a user named 'guest' and give the same password to everyone.
    Create a usergroup so the 'guest' can only view posts in the specific forums.
    Easily done with masks.
    Disable the ability to change the password, if that is even possible?
    Disable PMs and anything else that needs to be locked down.

Leave a comment:

• Shane.
    replied
    Any help here? Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Shane.
    replied
    Carrie, thx for the reply, but it doesn't really address my problem fully. I understand how to pw a forum/sub-forum. What I want is for the password to apply to guests, but not to registered users, just as it doesn't apply to >= moderators.

To quote the manual:
    Forum Password – if you wish to password protect this forum, specify the password here. Administrators, super moderators, and moderators of the forum in question will not be prompted for a password
    For selected sub-forum(s) I want the regular members to be exempt from the PW.
    Last edited by Shane.; Sun 16 Aug '09, 4:17pm.

Leave a comment:

• calorie
    replied
    There are a couple ways to do this. If you want to password protect the whole site, then using an htaccess file may be the way to go. You can find tutorials to do this here (it is not a part of vBulletin). If OTOH you want to password protect individual forums, you can do that with Forum Password described here.

Leave a comment:

• Want to set a subforum to require a password for guests, but not registered users

I've poked around in my settings and don't see an easy way to do this.

Basically, I'm making a community forum for a teacher's classroom. I don't want it fully public because they don't need everything to discussed regarding the class viewable by everyone else. Conversely, a lot of the parents may not be interested enough to register.

So, I thought I could password the site for the visitors and if only the parents had the password they could then view the info w/out having to register. Obviously, over time, if they got comfortable I would hope they'd register...

Also, I realize that there might be an argument that this just complicates things and that may/may not be true, but for now, I'd like any help/suggestions/codes to do what I'm asking.

Thanks!

edit: In expirementing with this I see that by default (somewhere) moderators and admins do not have PW requirements apply to them. Anyone have a hint where to find this in the admincp?
    Last edited by Shane.; Thu 6 Aug '09, 7:42pm.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X