Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Every now and then everything is gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every now and then everything is gone...

Sorry for the poor title, but don't know really how to describe it.

Every now and then, perhaps once every month, my forum restores itself to a previous stage, almost to the beginning when I created it. It's full of spam threads (which came before I took action), the style is back to standard and all threads posted after this date (months ago) are gone. The first time it happened I panicked, but I learned it usually takes a couple of hours and when I log back in, everything is back to normal again.

Any idea why this happens? If you need further details let me know.

That has to be either someone manually restoring a backup of an old database, or you have an automated cron job doing this. That is definitely not normal.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Are you saying it randomly reverts to an old status (is it always to the same time in history) and then a couple of hours just magically goes back to normal?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
        Are you saying it randomly reverts to an old status (is it always to the same time in history) and then a couple of hours just magically goes back to normal?
        Correct.

Comment

I have never heard of this happening. Does it only happen to you or can other users see this weirdness also? Can people post when it is like this and are the posts still there when it goes back to normal? And does this happen at the same time every month?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

Actually I haven't launched the forum to the public yet. One day there were thousands of spam threads so I decided to turn the forums off until I'm done with the layout, forum categories and have a better spam protection.

It does happen randomly and not after I have done anything out of the ordinary.

I took a screen shot now, will take one of the current status once it has been restored again - I hope.

Comment

I connected to my site from my iphone and saw it was back to normal there, so figured out it must be something with my computer, connection or browser. Cleared the history and rebooted, now back to normal.

Comment

Glad to hear it was just a computer issue.

Comment

I had to bring this up again as the problem keeps coming up and some users also have problems accessing the site. Some say they manage to from work but not from home or vice versa.

I'm still using version 3.7.4 - would an update solve these problems?

Comment

Originally posted by tahoma View Post
                    Some say they manage to from work but not from home or vice versa.
                    That is probably a DNS problem.
                    Problem with the ISP's DNS resolver. Even from the same ISP the result could be different because it has many DNS resolvers.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Hm ok, I don't know anything about that, care to explain?

Comment

Originally posted by tahoma View Post
                        Hm ok, I don't know anything about that, care to explain?
                        You should let your host know about this problem,only they can solve it.

The clue is : name server

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X