Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Users change their usernames in their control panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amoko
    replied
    I did this morning and they havent.

So if anyone in the forum has any information on this, please post, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Andy

Leave a comment:

• JamieinNH
    replied
    Originally posted by amoko View Post
    I have been informed by the vBulletin that "Allowing users to change their names is not a feature and considered a security risk."
    What is the reason why users having the ability to change their usernames is a security risk?

I would like to know before undertaking any mods and so I can advise my client of any potential risks this will cause...
    This is something you need to ask vBulletin. Since they told you it would be a risk, ask the same person that told you that your question.

I am sure they will help you with a response.

Leave a comment:

• amoko
    replied
    What is the reason why users having the ability to change their usernames is a security risk?

I would like to know before undertaking any mods and so I can advise my client of any potential risks this will cause...

Leave a comment:

• JamieinNH
    replied
    vBulletin is not an open source product, I have paid for it, and I am still expected to customise the code myself to include a very basic feature?

You can't expect vBulletin or any other script you buy to have *every* feature know to man in it. vBulletin gives you the source code to which you can modify it in any form you wish.

I would venture to guess that your request is not the 'norm' for most owners. You know it can be done as it was once over at vb.org, so pay someone to fix it for you and you will be all set.

They could have the OPTION to allow username changes, warn that this is a security risk in their opinion and webmasters turn this feature on at their own discretion?

If they did this on a regular basis for all the hacks people want, how long would it take before everyone was complaining that vBulletin isn't secure, easy to hack etc?

You are expecting more than the default script will give you, so customize it to the way you want. What's the real beef?

Leave a comment:

• amoko
    replied
    I have been informed by the vBulletin that "Allowing users to change their names is not a feature and considered a security risk."

Which in my opinion is nonsense because there are features you can put in place to prevent it being a risk. Such as...

• Limiting the amount of times username be changed.
    • Changing letters upper/lower cases can be allowed permanently so long as the letter is the same.
    • When a user changes their name all their posts change to the new name
    • AND have a 'formally "Old Name"' line under there new name for x amount of time after changing.
    • Preventing changing of email address. - or just add a new primary email and the old one is still held on the account to verify the user.
    • Preventing old username from being registered again.

I have already looked on vbulletin.org, I stated this in my first post in case you missed that! I found no working hacks, only old posts and nothing was downloadable - see link.

vBulletin is not an open source product, I have paid for it, and I am still expected to customise the code myself to include a very basic feature?

They could have the OPTION to allow username changes, warn that this is a security risk in their opinion and webmasters turn this feature on at their own discretion?

Last edited by amoko; Tue 4 Aug '09, 2:30am.

Leave a comment:

• joe1989
    replied
    There might be a mod for this on vbulletin.org

However, there is no option for this in vBulletin software - you'd have to modify the code.

Leave a comment:

• amoko
    replied
    We are talking considerably more users than 50, but also as an ongoing thing for new users without the need to administer every new user as they sign up.

So to enable them to change it themselves would be more self sufficiant.

Leave a comment:

• JamieinNH
    replied
    How many users are you talking about? I know you can change them in the AdminCP, but I don't know of a way to have the users change them.

If it's only a small amount of users then you could PM each user and explain the issue and they could PM you what they want for a user name. If you have more than 40-50 users, this wouldn't be an effective way though.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• amoko
    started a topic Users change their usernames in their control panels?

Users change their usernames in their control panels?

Hi,
    I want to know if users can change their usernames in their control panels?

I have looked around forums and only found information on old topics that this is not a feature but there are hacks to do this on vbulletin.org

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66602

But this hack is no longer downloadable!!

The reason i need this is becasue users are initally registered via Magento which uses emails as usernames, so I will need to advise users to change their usernames for security.

Is this a feature, and are there any plugins or hacks available to achieve this feature? And if not is there a reason why?

Thanks
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X