Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spam again. Spammers are using the same background color.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam again. Spammers are using the same background color.

I'm getting all kinds of 'new' spam attacks on my forum. The one I'm posting about now is this: spammers hide links by making the color of the link the same color as the background of the forum.

I swear, if vBulletin would just give me the option to disable links by usergroup, I'd more spam free. Or better, if a usergroup makes a post with an email address or link, their post would be moderated. Yes, I know there's a hack over at vBulletin.org for that. It's just a pain to keep updating hacks and templates and upgrades and all that.

May as well talk about the other spam problem I'm having. I seem to have gotten on some kind of list--I'm getting people joining up solely to post on threads that have good search engine rankings. I'm getting obviously on-topic (but still pretty useless) replies to them with attempts to post links in the replies.

The ideal is to stop the spam bots from even registering. You can use one of the human verification options:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Human Verification Manager (on the left, not the right)

The Q&A option can be very effective. Note that the "image verification" option isn't very effective anymore since some bots are programmed to read those images.

Comment

Jake, I appreciate the reply, but I'm having trouble with human spammers. They are making very short, but on-topic, replies to threads. They also abuse the introductions forum and lounge forum.

I have installed some modifications that prevent signatures from showing up for members in a certain group (the newly-registered group). Even with these restrictions, I am still getting lots of spam, albeit less than I was getting before.

At any rate, if I could limit URLs from within vB, without a modification, I would be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by biggazillakilla View Post
        Jake, I appreciate the reply, but I'm having trouble with human spammers. They are making very short, but on-topic, replies to threads. They also abuse the introductions forum and lounge forum.

I have installed some modifications that prevent signatures from showing up for members in a certain group (the newly-registered group). Even with these restrictions, I am still getting lots of spam, albeit less than I was getting before.

At any rate, if I could limit URLs from within vB, without a modification, I would be happy.
        Have you thought about activating Akismet? I've been using it on my blog for nearly two years and on my vB forum for about 6 months... In my experience it has a 99+ percent acuracy rate.

Comment

I use Akismet on another site; it catches a lot of stuff.

Again, the problem I'm having is with human SEO'ers. They're signing up for multiple accounts and making very short but on-topic posts.

By pure coincidence, I recognized one of the sites that was being spammed. I contacted the site owner and told him that he was creating a bad image for himself. In his defense, he said that he'd hired an SEO firm to take care of traffic and SEO for himself.

For my situation, if I could prevent URLs for new members, or have posts with URLs sent to a moderation queue, I'd be happy.

Comment

If you go over to vBulletin.org there's a modification that does exactly what you require in that it restricts the use of URL's / links in posts until a set number of posts is reached.

I been on several forums that use this feature. Often set to 10 posts.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=177704

If you look around there may be other hacks for this purpose.

Comment

I think there is an addon for that on www.vbulletin.org.

Comment

Yes, I have that installed, as I mentioned above. It helps.

What I'm saying is:
                Originally posted by biggazillakilla View Post
                But there really needs to be a better, faster, easeir way to handle bots and spammers and SEO'ers and the like. Like a one-click method to identify a poster as a possible spammer--click one button and that member cannot post URLs or images, has his posts moderated, etc. As I said, I'm getting real humans on my forums every day making posts that aren't spam, but are designed to boost SERPs of other sites.

Comment