Blank Page Problem - Should I up the memory limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank Page Problem - Should I up the memory limit

I have a problem where "occasionally" users will post a new thread and get a blank page.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it occurs. Sometimes it can happen with a very short title and just a few words in the subject.

Incredibly, I created a thread called, "The Shaw Cable Rant thread" and it will crash everytime. If I switch one word then it doesn't!

To solve the problem I have,
    • Checked for Suspicious files (none)
    • Turned off all plug-ins (still happens)
    • Check File Directory and File permissions

Then I did this in my config.php file

ini_set("display_errors", true);

and got

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 81 bytes) in /.... /includes/class_core.php on line 3259
    My settings from PHP.ini

max_execution_time = 480 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    max_input_time = 240 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
    memory_limit = 32M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume

Should I be upping my memory limit?

Yes, increase it to:

memory_limit = 64M

You can alway increase it again if it is not enough.

JT

Comment

I have increased to 40M.

I am concerned that increasing to 64M could have some significant negative impacts. What is the consequences of going to 64M?

If this is already been discussed somewhere before, a link would be great so we don't duplicate the discussion.

Thanks again.

Comment

In reading through threads, Steve suggests the 32M is enough. I have a few add-ons so hopefully 40M should be enough.

I will monitor over coming days for member feedback

Comment

From your post:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 81 bytes) in /.... /includes/class_core.php on line 3259

Well it seems 32MB isn't quite enough...

I usually increment in 8MB values so 40MB should work for you.

Good Luck!!

JT

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X