No announcement yet.

.bmp files not visible from database, okay from files

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • .bmp files not visible from database, okay from files

    Hi All

    Many of my users, all with IE8, cannot view .bmp pictures attached in the database. When the same pic is put in a public file outside the database it is okay.

    Anyone see this before? Don't know whether it is a vB or IE8 issue.
    See discussion at:


  • #2
    Try enabling this:

    Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> Send Internet Explorer 7 Compatibility Header

    And make sure the bmp mime type is correct:

    Admin CP -> Attachments -> Attachment Manager -> Edit

    The mime type should be:

    Content-type: image/bitmap


    • #3
      The Send Internet Explorer 7 Compatibility Header was checked

      But, I had removed the .bmp attachment type as a temporary measure. When adding it again, it was seen that the Content-type: defaulted to unknown/unknown and I changed that to image/bitmap.

      Have asked my problem users to check the results and will give full feed back later.



      • #4
        The problem is still there.

        Some IE8 users cannot see bmp's from the database.

        (Have moved to another computer and can replicate the problem myself now)


        • #5
          Jake, any chance of it being a version problem?

          Here I see a .bmp fine:


          • #6
            Other than the mime type I don't know why it wouldn't be working. Maybe there is a customization that is causing this. You can quickly determine this by temporarily disabling your customizations. Try to reproduce it on a default style:

            Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [Add New Style]

            Create a new style with no parent. Then click that style's name in the Style Manager to view your forum with that style. If the problem goes away on the default style then you know it's a style problem at which point you need to systematically revert your custom templates to isolate the problem.

            If you still have the problem then try disabling your plugins:

            Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Plugin/Hook System

            Also run a file check to look for customized files. Upload the original files if any problems are reported:

            Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post

              The mime type should be:

              Content-type: image/bitmap
              I changed that to image/bmp and that seems to have cured it!


              Related Topics