Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subcategory help needed

Hi,

First time poster and new license holder. I am currently building my forum and I made all the cats and subcats. But I don't like the way the subcats look in the respect that they are all like main forums - big rectangles which take up a lot of space and thereby create a very long page.

How do I make my subcats into links within the parent forum rectangle? So if I have five subforums they will all be links within the one parent forum.

See http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ as an example.

Thanks

Did you choose a superior forum for your sub-forums ?

Comment

No I didn't choose a "superior" forum. I choose a "parent" forum.

So I create a forum and the main part is under Main Category (I may want to get rid of Main Category as well)... so then I have a parent forum under Main Category... then I make a new forum and place it under the parent forum I created.

Example - Parent Forum = Cars
      Subcat forum = Toyota
      Subcat forum = Ford

So I have a parent forum with several subs underneath but they all look like regular forums. I want all the subs to look like links inside the parent forum box to save space. How do I do this?

Thanks

Comment

vBulletin Options > Forum Listings Display Options > Depth of sub-forums > set this value above 0.

Comment

Changed it from 0 to 1 and it didn't make any difference. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

My forum display options are now 2-2-1 on down. Still not creating linked subcats within the parent forum.

I did a test and when I do child forum it will create the link but ONLY inside the subforum box that is below the parent box... not inside the parent box as I want it.

Do I need to delete all my parent and subcats and start all over. It took over 4 hours to make what I got... and I was doing it incorrectly.

Here is a pic of what I got. Please advise. I can't believe I can't get a simple subforum going in a parent box.

Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

So I deleted all forum cats and the subcats that were in their own boxes.

Now I created a forum cat and then I created a test category as a child forum and it won't go as a link... only as a rectangle box on it's own below the other category which is supposed to be a parent.

I have a parent with a light bluish box to the left and the subcat is apparently on its own but with a darker bluish box on the left.

So still at square one

Comment

Here is the solution for anyone who ever has the same issue I had -

I had no categories... therefore 4 forums with no parent category. You need to create a category, then create a forum with the category as the parent, and then a forum (subforum) that is the child of the parent forum.

Categories
                -- Forum
                ----Subforums

Note: To create a Category, just create a new forum and set 'Act as forum' to 'No'. Then you can add forums under that category by setting their forum 'Parent' to that.

Comment

Reviving this thread as not to create a duplicate. I'm trying to get subcategory links to show up on each forum. I've accomplished what I'm looking for on the home page by setting the Depth of Sub-forms in the Forum Listings Display Options.

However, I have multiple sublevels. http://www.compositedevpatterns.com/forum.php You can see it's what I want. However, if you click on .Net Platform, then I'm back to where all the forums and the sub forums all display in a rectangle. I want this to be just like the home forum page.

You click on you see General.Net with a link for Parallel Programming. The same for the rest.

I've played with changing the other settings but no luck so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X